Who We Are
At Spencer Fane, promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion goes hand in hand with providing excellent client service. Therefore, we seek to foster and develop a diverse array of attorneys and professional staff who bring varied ideas and perspective to our clients’ complex legal challenges. We strive to cultivate an inclusive and equitable environment that allows our attorneys and professional staff to fully integrate within the firm, so that we can better provide innovative legal solutions to our clients. In other words, we believe diversity, equity, and inclusion are fundamental principles essential to the firm and our clients’ success. Acting on these principles best positions us to deliver the services our clients need and to engage the communities in which we serve.
Indeed, we believe diversity, equity, and inclusion results in a better client experience, a transparent work environment for our colleagues, and more productive community involvement. Because this is what we believe, we actively recruit attorneys and professional staff with unique life experiences, beliefs, backgrounds, capabilities, perspectives, personalities and other invaluable attributes. We then deliberately work to retain and expand our diverse workforce by deploying them to handle broad legal matters, initiatives within Spencer Fane, and community outreaches.
Our Mission and Impact
With respect to diversity, equity, and inclusion, the Committee focuses on identifying, attracting, and retaining diverse talent. Our mission is to build, maintain, and leverage a diverse and inclusive law firm that strengthens our clients and communities. We implement this mission through a variety of initiatives including:
- Educating our firm members on diversity, equity and inclusion issues and providing opportunities for discussion regarding the same;
- Strategically recruiting law students to ensure a diverse applicant pool (including participating in recruiting events aimed at enhancing the diversity of law firms’ workforces and the success of their inclusion efforts);
- Cultivating our law firm’s reputation and workplace environment so that practicing attorneys and legal support staff who might later affiliate with us will know that they are joining a diverse team where equity and inclusion are expected and believed to directly contribute to our clients’ successes;
- Mentoring and training all attorneys towards their goals of becoming more effective service providers to our clients and advocating for their success;
- Supporting diversity-focused networks, such as our Women ADVOCATE affinity group and the Law Firm Antiracism Alliance; and
- Directing and encouraging our DEI Committee to promote, monitor, and evaluate our activities (both within our law firm and outwardly towards the communities we serve) and policies focused upon diversity, equity, and inclusion.