Linda Knight helps insurers and their insureds successfully resolve complicated first- and third-party litigation to minimize potential exposure when stakes are high. She has particular experience defending insureds in catastrophic loss cases and insurers in coverage and bad faith litigation. This has allowed her to build a national practice and serve clients as trial counsel in federal and state courts throughout the country, with an exemplary record of strong results for her clients in highly contentious matters.
Highlights of Linda’s experience include:
- Won a significant victory before the U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation for an insurance company facing an attempt to centralize all federal COVID-19 business-interruption insurance cases.
- Represented various insureds in high-exposure jury trials in several cases around the country, including five trials in five different states in recent years.
- Represented numerous insurance companies in high-exposure bad faith cases in Colorado.
- Won complete affirmance in the 10th Circuit of summary judgment in favor of an insurance company, resulting in dismissal of breach of contract and bad faith claims.
- Successfully settled multiple cases with exposure in the hundreds of millions of dollars, including some on a “walk-away” basis.
- Obtained extremely favorable midtrial settlement for a renowned boutique hotel in a multimillion-dollar catastrophic injury lawsuit.
- Won a defense verdict in a bench trial in Colorado involving a real estate dispute.
- Represented a manufacturer of electronic devices in product liability litigation in Florida.
- Negotiated favorable settlement during trial for a racetrack operator in a catastrophic case in Virginia involving permanent injuries to a minor.
- Obtained favorable settlement of bad faith claims on the eve of trial for an international insurance company related to a denial of coverage on a construction policy.
- Negotiated very favorable settlement for an Arizona restaurant facing multimillion-dollar catastrophic injury claims under dram shop liability laws.
- Obtained a favorable settlement for a construction company in a trucking wrongful death lawsuit in Georgia.
Presentations and Publications
- “Taking the Offense Against Emerging Tactics in Bad Faith Litigation,” speaker at the 2022 Colorado Defense Lawyers Association (CDLA) Annual Conference, August 5, 2022
- “The New Perry Mason: Mastering the (Technical) Art of Virtual Depositions,” panelist to Construction, Energy and Utilities, Extra-Contractual, and International Sections of the Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel (FDCC), August 4, 2021
- “Trial Examination & Presentation: Tips from the Pros,” presented at the 1st Annual Colorado Litigators’ Summit, co-sponsored by the Litigation Section of the Colorado Bar Association, October 26, 2018
- “Defending Against Reptile Theory in Depositions,” presented to in-house counsel and adjusters at USAA, September 12, 2018
- “Strategic Litigation,” two-day seminar presented at Great American Insurance Company Claims College, September 2015
- “Strategic Mediation,” presented at Great American Insurance Company Claims College, September 2014
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- Membership State Representative – Colorado, 2020-2022
- Member, 2019-present
- Vice-Chair, Professional Liability, 2022-2023
- Vice-Chair, Professional Women’s Forum, 2022-2023
- Vice-Chair, Insurance Industry Institute, 2022-2023
- Best Lawyers in America, Litigation – Insurance, 2023
- Colorado Super Lawyers, Rising Star
- Insurance Coverage, 2020-2022
- Personal Injury – General Defense, 2013-2019
- Fellow, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Trial Law Institute
- Diversity Law Institute
Contact Linda Knight at 303.839.3738 or email@example.com.