Stacy Harper counsels health care organizations on regulatory compliance reimbursement and data security issues. Using her prior experience as a health care compliance officer, she develops strategies for clients to mitigate risk and improve compliance.
Stacy assesses risks and develops plans for health care providers, health plans, employer sponsors of self-insured health plans, and other businesses to coordinate data privacy, data security, and data breach response in accordance with HIPAA, HITECH, and state data laws. Through evaluation of structure, industry, policies, contracts, processes, and education, Stacy provides resources necessary for her clients to understand and manage data risks in the current cyber threat environment. When a security incident does occur, she frequently coordinates the team to provide an effective response to mitigate harm to the organization and its clients.
Additionally, Stacy aids her clients in the navigation of medical billing and coding standards, Stark Anti-Kickback, and other state and federal reimbursement laws. She is a Certified Professional Coder with first-hand knowledge of the legal and practical reimbursement structures for government and private payors. Because regulatory requirements can vary depending on the type of provider organization, Stacy’s clients appreciate her ability to analyze the interplay between licensure and reimbursement requirements to provide unique counsel to each organization.
She regularly writes and lecturers on topics ranging from health care data privacy and security to medical billing and coding. Stacy currently serves on the AAPC Legal Advisory Board.
- Data Security and Cyberliability
- Data Breach Management
- Health Care Compliance and Audit Risk
- Corporate Compliance
- Stark, Anti-Kickback, and Health Care Contracting
- Fraud and Abuse
- Meaningful Use
- Value Based Purchasing
- HIPAA Compliance
- University of Kansas School of Law, 2009 (J.D.)
- University of Kansas Medical Center, 2009 (M.H.S.A.)
- University of Kansas, 2001 (B.G.S.)
- Missouri Lawyers Media (MLM), 2023 Women’s Justice Award (Innovation & Tech), 2023
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2018-2019
- American Academy of Professional Coders, Legal Advisory Board, 2014-present
- American Academy of Professional Coders, National Advisory Board, 2013-2015
- Certified Professional Coder, American Academy of Professional Coders
- American Health Law Association
- Greater Kansas City Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- Kansas Association of Hospital Attorneys
- Missouri Society of Health Care Attorneys, Board of Directors, 2012-2016
- Missouri Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Kansas Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Minnesota Bar Association, Health Law Section