The Spencer Fane Hospitality practice offers a full range of services for owners, operators, developers, investors and financiers of hotel and resort properties. Our hospitality team has represented clients in connection with the development, purchase, sale, rebranding, or financing of dozens of hotels throughout the United States. In serving our clients’ needs, our team often works with experienced professionals from other legal disciplines—corporate, labor and employment, litigation intellectual property, and finance. In sum, Spencer Fane combines the experience and resources of a large firm with the responsiveness and value of a boutique.
This team regularly counsels and represents clients in the following areas:
- Hotel Development Projects. We have represented the developers of hotel projects in all facets of the process, including site acquisition, financing, and negotiation of franchise and management agreements. We have assisted clients in connection with the development of various hotel brands, including Marriott, Renaissance, Hilton, Holiday Inn and Staybridge Suites.
- Hotel Acquisitions and Dispositions. We have advised owners and investors as they investigate the purchase and sale of hotels and have directed complex transactions. Our extensive experience enables us to pinpoint risks, maximize value, and provide value-driven solutions throughout the transaction process. We have negotiated purchase and sale agreements across the country, involving numerous independent and branded hotels, including Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites, Hampton Inn, and Renaissance.
- Hotel Financings. We frequently handle hotel financings and refinancings on behalf of hotel owners as well as lenders. In addition, we have represented lenders and special servicers in handling distressed hotel properties, including loan workouts.
- Franchise and Management Agreements. Our representation of clients in the hospitality sector has often involved the negotiation of hotel franchise agreements and hotel management agreements, as well as the restructuring of ownership/management relationships.
- Hotel Operations. Our multi-disciplined team is well suited to managing the risks of owning and managing a hotel, ranging from labor and employment issues to joint ventures to liquor licenses.