Stephen Pahl’s practice concentrates in the areas of real property transactions and litigation, employment matters representing exclusively management, commercial litigation, and financial institutions law. He has successfully prosecuted scores of jury trials, in both state and federal courts, involving all aspects of real estate, brokerage, landlord-tenant, employment law, banking, and commercial matters.
With an extensive background with bar involvements, Stephen previously served as Chair of the Ninth Circuit Lawyer Representative Coordinating Committee and the Ninth Circuit Conference Executive Committee relating to the administration of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. He is active in business and local government and currently serves on several Boards of Directors, including public companies.
Since 2001, Stephen has served as General Counsel to the California Apartment Association, the largest statewide organization of rental property owners and managers in the nation and participates as General Counsel for several clients in the banking and real estate industry. Involvement in real property development led to his selection to serve for a term on a local Planning Commission, providing better insight into local planning and zoning issues.
Stephen has been a member of both the Federal Courts and the Administration of Justice Committees of the State Bar of California, and previously served several terms as Vice President of the Federal Bar Association (Northern District of California). He has also been selected by the Northern District of California to serve as one of its Special Masters and Early Neutral Evaluators. An avid instrument-rated private pilot, he is also a member of the Lawyer-Pilot Bar Association.
Stephen is a 1977 graduate of the University of California at Santa Barbara and received his Juris Doctorate from the University of Santa Clara, where he was a published editor of the Law Review.
- Santa Clara University School of Law, 1980 (J.D.)
- University of California, Santa Barbara, 1977 (B.A.)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- California Apartment Association, General Counsel
- Palo Alto Hills Golf and Country Club, President
- Town of Los Altos Hills, Planning Commission
- California Super Lawyers
- Ninth Circuit, Lawyer Representative Coordinating Committee, Chair
- Ninth Circuit, Conference Executive Committee, Chair
- Commission on Federal Courts and the Administration of Justice, California State Bar Member, State Bar of California Committees and Commissions:
- Federal Courts
- Administration of Justice
- Federal Bar Association (N. CA), Vice President
- Lawyer-Pilot Bar Association
- “A Court Divided; An Analysis of Polarization on the U.S. Supreme Court,” 19 Santa Clara L. Rev. 985, 1979