As part of the firm’s continued, expanding commitment to essential DEI principles, the Spencer Fane Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee is pleased to release its second annual DEI Report.
The data compiled in the 2022 DEI Report illustrates the strides Spencer Fane has made with regard to active, diverse recruiting, and promotion. The 22-page review likewise highlights a wide variety of the firm’s DEI efforts from the past year including internal and external events and training sessions, third-party honors and recognitions, and professional accomplishments of both Spencer Fane attorneys and staff.
The report also includes Q&As from both the firm’s DEI and Women ADVOCATE Committees as well as valuable insights from Immediate Past Chair of the DEI Committee Elizabeth Wente and firm Chair Pat Whalen. Acknowledging the necessary work that remains, Pat exemplified the firm’s enthusiasm and dedication to expanding the Spencer Fane DEI footprint.
“There is much more we intend to achieve as a firm,” Pat said. “As we look ahead, we see opportunities at every turn to have a positive and lasting impact on our colleagues, clients, and communities.”
With respect to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Spencer Fane focuses on identifying, attracting, and retaining diverse talent. Our mission is to build, maintain, and leverage a diverse and inclusive law firm that strengthens our clients and communities. We implement this mission through a variety of initiatives including:
- Educating our firm members on DEI issues and providing opportunities for discussion.
- Recruiting law students to ensure a diverse applicant pool and participating in recruiting events aimed at enhancing the diversity of law firms’ workforces.
- Mentoring and training all attorneys towards their goals of becoming more effective service providers to our clients and advocating for their success.
- Supporting diversity-focused networks, such as our Women ADVOCATE affinity group, the Law Firm Antiracism Alliance, and the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity.
- Directing and encouraging our DEI Committee to promote, monitor, and evaluate our policies.
View the 2022 DEI Report in its entirety here.