Pat serves as Chair and Managing Partner of Spencer Fane.
Among other distinctions, Pat has been recognized by clients and colleagues as:
- One of the Nation’s Law Firm Leadership Trailblazers, National Law Journal.
- One of the 100 Most Influential Lawyers in the Country, American Cities Business Journals.
- One of the best in the country in delivering outstanding client service to General Counsel of the world’s largest companies, including recognition as one of the top 30 IP lawyers in the country, BTI Consulting / Law360.
- One of the Nation’s CyberSecurity & Data Privacy Trailblazers, National Law Journal.
- Among the best in the world in Internet & E-commerce Law, Business Research, Ltd.
- The top choice for IP Litigation, Kansas City Business Magazine.
- Two-time Law Firm Leader of the Year for driving greater value and efficiency to clients while growing Spencer Fane, Missouri Lawyers Weekly.
- One of the 250 Most Influential Business Leaders in the Region, Ingram’s Business Magazine.
- The University of Texas School of Law (J.D.)
- The University of Texas Graduate School of Business (San Antonio) (M.B.A.)
- University of Kansas (B.A., Economics)
- Harvard Business School (C.M.E.)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Civic Council of Greater Kansas City, Board of Directors
- Kansas City Area Development Council, Board of Directors
- Heartland Civic Collaborative Committee
- St. Louis Regional Chamber
- Best Lawyers in America, 2020-2024
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2008-2022
- Kansas City Business Journal, Best of the Bar
- Ingram’s 250: The Most Powerful Business Leaders in Greater Kansas City, 2016-2022
- Top 40 Business Leaders Under 40, Kansas City
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Managing Partner Institute, Advisory Committee
- Legal Project Management, Advisory Board
- American Bar Association, Committee on Productivity & Knowledge Strategy
- American Bar Association, Committee on Legal Project Management
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Intellectual Property Committee, Former Chair
- Intellectual Property Deskbook for the Business Lawyer, American Bar Association, 2019
- Advising Small Business, Thompson / West, 2017
- Global Business Law, 2008
- Domestic and International Litigation Strategies, Aspatore, 2007
- Keynote Speech, Gartner Compliance, Governance, and Risk Management Summit, Chicago
- “Cloud Computing,” American Bar Association, Annual Meeting, San Francisco
- “Reps and Warranties in Cross-Border IP Transactions,” American Bar Association, Annual Meeting, Chicago
- “Advanced Licensing Agreements,” Practicing Law Institute, Chicago
- “Monetizing Intellectual Property,” American Bar Association, Annual Meeting, New York City
- “Copyright Disputes in Outsourcing Transactions,” American Bar Association, Annual Meeting, San Francisco
- “Addressing Patent Infringement Risks in Your Transaction,” American Bar Association, Business Law Section Meetings, Chair, Washington, D.C.
- “Financial Institutions and Intellectual Property Risks,” Missouri Banker’s Association
- “CyberCrime in Electronic Commerce,” Miami, Florida
- “Emerging Internet Legal Developments,” Kansas City, Missouri
- “E-Commerce Strategies in the Automotive Parts Industry,” Clemson University Annual Conference, Hilton Head, South Carolina
- “CyberSabotage,” Florida Marcus Evans, Miami
- “Protecting Intellectual Property,” The Missouri Bar Annual Meeting, Kansas City, Missouri
- “Discovery of Electronic Evidence,” Deloitte & Touche, St. Louis, Missouri; Overland Park, Kansas
- “Internet Law,” National Business Institute
- “Electronic Discovery in Corporation Litigation,” The Missouri Bar Annual Convention
- “Trade Secrets: Litigation and Transactions,” Los Angeles, Law Seminars International
- “Outsourcing and The Protection of Your Company’s Intellectual Property,” American Bar Association, Chairman and Speaker, Chicago
- “Sarbanes-Oxley and Intellectual Property,” American Bar Association, Business Law Section Annual Meeting, Chair, Tampa, Florida
- “Preventing Corporate Espionage,” National Association of Purchase Managers