Spencer Fane represents both landlords and tenants in negotiating, documenting and enforcing all types of leases, subleases, licenses, amendments, assignments, and all other related documents. Such representations include all types of real estate properties such as industrial, manufacturing, government, warehouse, retail and office uses, multi-family, built-to-suit, and ground leases. Spencer Fane Real Estate attorneys assist both landlords and tenants in identifying and addressing complex lease issues in order to solidify the most advantageous terms. In handling matters of lease enforcement and lease disputes, our Real Estate attorneys provide risk analysis and seek remedies that mitigate our clients’ risks while maximizing gain. Our Real Estate attorneys regularly attend to collateral leasing matters, such as drafting and responding to letters of intent, subordination and non-disturbance agreements, estoppel certificates, and other related documents.
Our Real Estate attorneys work as a multi-disciplined and results-oriented team focused on efficient, comprehensive solutions with the ability to call on colleagues in Banking and Financial Services, Business Transactions and other relevant practices when necessary to determine the best course of action for clients. We understand the business needs and objectives of our clients and work quickly and responsively to help them accomplish the deals that move their business forward. Our Real Estate attorneys stay up to date on recent developments in the law and effectively apply that knowledge for the benefit of our clients.
Our representations have included all types of properties throughout the United States: retail and shopping centers, industrial, manufacturing, government, warehouse, office, multifamily, and ground leases. Our experience includes working with Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies, closely held businesses, publicly traded companies, and REITs.
- Representation of a client operating urgent care clinics in commercial leasing matters for 100 clinic locations across 3 states.
- Management of a lease portfolio for a Fortune 100 company (all offices located in northeast United States).
- Representation of a national grocery store chain in developing over 50 grocery-anchored shopping centers throughout the United States and the associated inline and outparcel leasing in the centers, and continued leasing representation for the publicly-traded REIT, which later acquired the centers.
- Representation of a client developing approximately 8 Walmart anchored centers in Missouri and Illinois and the inline and outparcel leasing in those centers, which included both national and retail tenants.
- Representation of a publicly traded company in reviewing and addressing contractual provisions of commercial leases (tenant side). Development and implementation of solutions to issues identified.
- Both landlord and tenant representation on a broad range of commercial leasing matters, including office, retail, industrial, mixed-use and medical/dental, for national, regional and local clients.
- Representation of both landlords and tenants in connection with high-rise and low-rise office, box retail, movie theaters, and light industrial leasing.
- Negotiation of over 20 lease terminations on behalf of a tenant client downsizing its business operations across the United States.
- Representation of a national real estate management company in leasing its properties under management.
- Preparation of multiple retail leases on a continuing basis for a rapidly expanding publicly traded company at locations across the country (tenant side).
- Negotiation of commercial leases and amendments for a Fortune 500 company (top 80) (landlord side).
- Preparation of lease amendments for Fortune a 500 company (top 40) and negotiation of sublease arrangements for same (tenant/sublandlord side).
- Preparation of industrial leases and lease amendments for one of the largest publicly traded REITs (landlord side).
- Representation of a developer of a multi-stage regional shopping center (totaling in excess of 800,000 rentable square feet) with respect to all aspects of acquisition, subdivision, construction, leasing to national credit tenants, establishment of OEA and ECR agreements, and, ultimately, staged sale of developed properties to real estate investment trusts.
- Representation of a real estate developer in the acquisition, construction and development of a shopping center anchored by a major retailer, including the negotiation and preparation of pad-site ground leases and sales.
- Representation of a purchaser of a business enterprise with multiple commercial leases in Canada. Worked with Canadian counsel to resolve lease issues.