Thomas Hiatt is a trial attorney who helps businesses in all aspects of litigation including consulting pre-lawsuit, conducting and managing e-discovery, engaging in motion practice, and trying cases to verdict. He has experience in construction defect and payment disputes, antitrust litigation, collection work, and financial services litigation involving fraudulent transfer and piercing the corporate veil theories.
Thomas understands the costs and uncertainties associated with litigation and manages litigation matters in the most cost-effective manner available. This includes actively engaging in mediation and arbitration where appropriate.
To help his clients avoid litigation, Thomas works with them on day-to-day issues including the review and negotiation of construction contracts and on a multitude of other issues that may affect a business on a day-to-day basis.
- University of Kansas School of Law, 2015 (J.D.)
- University of Kansas, 2012 (B.A.), with Distinction
- Missouri, 2015
- Kansas, 2016
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas, 2016
- Represented a commercial roofing product manufacturer in two-week jury trial in the District Court of Johnson County, Kansas involving anti-trust and tortious interference theories and over a million dollars in alleged damages. Received a complete defense verdict.
- Represented a contractor in dispute with owner and multiple unpaid subcontractors relating to owner’s imposition of liquidated damages.
- Represented and counseled various general contractors, subcontractors, and material suppliers on their lien rights in Kansas, Missouri, and other states throughout the Midwest.
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Social Committee, Co-Chair
- Missouri Public Defenders Program, Pro Bono Representation
- University of Kansas, 1L Mentor Program
- Best Lawyers in America, 2022-2023
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2018-2019, 2022-2023