Joel Newell collaboratively advocates for individuals, corporations, and businesses before mediators, arbitration panels, judges, and juries, developing appropriate strategies to achieve successful outcomes in alignment with the unique objectives sought based on the individual matter.
Specifically, Joel’s private practice focuses on commercial, probate, and corporate restructuring litigation. He addresses the full range of litigation risks that a business might encounter, first proactively counseling clients on how to avoid unnecessary litigation and then thoughtfully and aggressively utilizing the full range of dispute resolution methods to defend them up to and through appeal when necessary.
Joel brings significant experience in all areas of corporate restructuring, including associated litigation, creditors’ rights in both commercial and consumer bankruptcy matters, and contested motions. Because of this, he provides clients with unique insight into the options for navigating the complex landscape for bankruptcy, restructuring, and insolvency.
In probate litigation, Joel understands the nuances related to challenges of a will’s validity, lawsuits involving the construction or interpretation of wills and trusts, contested guardianships, trust reformation and modification, trust termination matters, beneficiary disputes, and more.
Joel has previously served as chair of both the State Bar of Arizona and Maricopa County Bar Association bankruptcy sections.
- Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 2007 (J.D.)
- Anderson University, 2003 (B.A.)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Arizona Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- Credit Abuse Resistance Education (CARE), Volunteer
- East Valley Athletics, Youth Flag Football Coach
- State Bar of Arizona
- Immediate Past Chair, Bankruptcy Section, 2021-2022
- Chair, Bankruptcy Section, 2020-2021
- Chair Elect, Bankruptcy Section, 2019-2020
- Co-Chair, Bankruptcy Section Annual State Bar Convention, 2019
- Executive Council member, Bankruptcy Section, 2018-present
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA) Arizona Chapter, member, 2021-2022
- Maricopa County Bar Association (MCBA), Bankruptcy Section
- Immediate Past Chair, 2015
- Chair, 2014
- Chair Elect, 2013
- Member, 2013-2015
- Arizona Bankruptcy American Inn of Court, member, 2011-2014
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, 2012
- Volo Editor, 2012- 2022
- “Advanced Real Estate Issues in Bankruptcy,” National Bank of Arizona, January 28, 2021
- “Bankruptcy Litigation Seminar I,” Norton Institute on Bankruptcy Law, February 2018
- “Why Darth Vader Is Not Entitled to a Discharge,” Maricopa County Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section, February 12, 2016
- Norton Bankruptcy Law Adviser Newsletter, January 2016
- “Consumer Case Law Update,” Bankruptcy Section, State Bar of Arizona, 2016
- “Bankruptcy Litigation Seminar I,” Norton Institute on Bankruptcy Law, 2016
- “Fraudulent Transfers and Pre-Bankruptcy Planning,” Bankruptcy Section State Bar of Arizona, 2015
- “Bankruptcy Litigation Seminar I,” Norton Institute on Bankruptcy Law, 2015
- “Current Foreclosure Alternatives,” National Business Institute, 2011