Handling the business of sports, so teams and athletes can focus on the win.
The rapid growth of sponsorships in college sports has given rise to new legal issues. It’s vital that universities, athletic departments, and individual teams consult experienced counsel who not only understand the legal and compliance issues present in today’s college sports environment but also have experience in resolving high-stakes disputes. Similarly, pro sports teams benefit from legal counsel with deep knowledge of the world of professional sports.
Handling eligibility, compliance, and contract issues for teams, athletes, coaches, and collectives
Comprising of lawyers with expertise in a broad range of areas – corporate law, litigation, entertainment, higher education, intellectual property, and labor and employment law – our Sports Law team has significant experience handling the full range of legal issues facing university athletic departments, staff, and athletes as well as professional sports teams and athletes.
Members of our team advise on high-impact litigation and transactional matters, including:
- Employment contracts for coaches and other senior athletic department leaders
- Negotiation and review of name, image, and likeness (NIL) deals, agreements, and contracts
- NCAA compliance issues
- Athlete eligibility matters
- Business formation and related matters
- Internal investigations
- Intellectual property protection and monetization, including trademark, trade secret, and copyright licensing
- Dispute resolution, including high-stakes trials and litigation
- Review and analysis of pending legislation affecting collegiate athletics
- Design of tax-efficient and creative fundraising incentives for sports infrastructure
- Obtaining financing for sports operations and capital improvements
Our Sports Law team tracks and provides counsel on all rules and laws set forth by various industry organizations, including the NCAA, National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA), National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), the National Federation of High School Athletic Associations (NFHSAA), individual universities, and various states.
Likewise, our detailed knowledge of the business of professional sports enables us to both anticipate and address the full spectrum of legal needs of professional teams and individuals working in the world of professional sports.