Jim Price is a partner with Spencer Fane, where he is co-chair of its Environmental law practice group and was a member of the firm’s Executive Committee from 1997 to 2009. His practice concentrates on environmental regulation and compliance, environmental litigation, toxic torts, and business transactions involving environmental issues. Jim has served as lead counsel for numerous environmental matters, including Superfund proceedings, RCRA corrective action, environmental transactions, and environmental permitting and compliance for solid waste, hazardous waste, water, air, and other matters.
Jim is a member of the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association and served as the first chair of its Environmental Law Committee in 1985. He is a member of the American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources, Vice Chair, State and Regional Cooperation Committee, 2007-present and has served as a member of its governing council. He has served as chair and vice-chair of that section’s Solid and Hazardous Waste Committee and as chair of the section’s Brownfields Task Force.
Jim is also Vice Chair of the American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Environmental Litigation Committee, CERCLA and Superfund Subcommittee. Jim served as chair of the Energy and Environment Committee of the Chamber of Commerce of Greater Kansas City, and is a member of the Environmental and Manufacturing Committees of Associated Industries of Missouri. For 25 years, since 1987, he has been listed in Best Lawyers of America under the environmental law section. He frequently writes and speaks to a wide variety of audiences on environmental law topics.
- Harvard Law School, 1980 (J.D.), cum laude
- University of Missouri – Columbia, 1977 (B.J.), Valedictorian
- Missouri, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- Chambers USA, 2012, 2020-2023
- Business Today, Top 10 Most Influential Environment Lawyers in Kansas City 2023
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2005-2022
- Best Lawyers in America, 1989-2024
- Kansas City Area Development Council, Advanced Energy Task Force, 2008-2013
- American Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- American College of Environmental Lawyers