Bill Hopkins helps to protect health care providers and health care companies against the many potential pitfalls in the industry, serving as both an advocate and educator for his clients in administrative law, regulatory defense, compliance, and litigation. He ensures that the legal aspects of health care are covered, so his clients can maintain their focus where it matters most – providing health care.
Bill advises the full spectrum of health care clients from individual health care providers, health care companies to institutional health care clients. He focuses on state and federal licensure, regulatory compliance, and enforcement matters, with an emphasis on proactive legal services aimed at maintaining compliance and minimizing potential legal exposure. He handles all aspects of health care professional licensure and practice; long-term care licensure, regulation, and enforcement; medical staff issues, credentialing, fraud, and abuse; and compliance with rules of state and federal regulatory agencies. He has litigated on behalf of his clients in both state and federal administrative courts, as well as the District Courts of Texas.
Additionally, Bill is a recognized thought leader and prolific speaker on health care regulatory, enforcement, and compliance matters at the local, state, and national levels. He also serves as an advocate for diversity initiatives in the legal industry, health care industry and general business community, currently serving as President of the Central Texas Advisory Board of the Texas Diversity Council and sitting on the organization’s statewide board.
- The University of Texas School of Law, 1995 (J.D.)
- High Point University, 1990 (B.A.)
- Texas, 1995
- Successfully represented a hospice provider is alleged six-figure overpayment action by CMS.
- Successfully defended numerous health care professionals before their respective licensure boards including, but not limited to the Medical Board, Board of Nursing, Board of Pharmacy, and Dental Board.
- Successfully defended numerous LTC Administrators before the Credentialing Department of Health and Human Services Commission.
- Negotiated Purchase Agreement on behalf of Healthcare Claims company who was being purchased.
- Successfully defended health care companies in various litigation matters regarding collections, contract disputes, and reimbursement.
- Defended Long Term Care facilities in survey and licensure matters before CMS and HHSC.
- E 4 Youth, Inc., Board Member, 2013-present; Chair of Board, 2013-2020
- People’s Community Clinic Foundation Board, Board Member, 2012-present; Chair of Board, 2019-2021
- American Red Cross-Central Texas Chapter, Board Member, 2010-present; Chair of Board, 2019-2021
- Austin Symphony BATS (Be At The Symphony), Young Member Group, Board Member, 2002-present; President, 2005-2006
- Austin Symphony Orchestra, Board of Directors, July 2006-present
- Committee Member, University of Texas Club Membership Committee / Ambassadors Council, 2002-present
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas Foundation, Board Member, 2006-2020
- Best Lawyers in America, Healthcare Law, 2018-2020, 2022-2024
- Texas Diversity Council, Diversity First Award Winner, 2011, 2018
- Texas Diversity Council, Diversity Champion Award, 2020
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section, Champion of Diversity and Inclusion Award, 2017
- Leadership Austin Essential Class, 2008
- Austin Under 40 Award, Legal Category Winner, 2006
- American Health Law Association (f/k/a American Health Lawyers Association) Post Acute Practice Group (PALS), Vice Chair of Publication, 2019-2021
- Austin Bar Association
- Health Law Section
- Administrative Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Health Law Section
- ABA National Commission on Law and Aging, Former Commissioner
- Distance Learning Committee, Chair
- Leadership Council, 2018-2020
- Post-Acute Care Interest Group, Member
- Long-Term Care Task Force, Former Chair
- Coordinating Committee on Diversity, Former Chair
- Physician Issues Interest Group, Former Chair
- Houston Bar Association
- Health Law Section, Former President
- Texas Diversity Council
- Central Texas Advisory Board, President
- Statewide Board Member
- ” Top Ten Issues in Health Law 2023,” American Health Law Association January Issue, January 2023
- “Cultural Competence in Physician Practice,” Central Branch of Harris County Medical Society, September 2022
- “Physician Investment and Engagement in Healthcare Business Ventures: What Every Physician Should Know Before Diving In,” Western and Northern Branches of Harris County Medical Society, September 2022
- “Treatment of Minors in Texas: What You Need to Know and Understand to Stay Out of Trouble,” September 2022
- “The Importance of Cultural Competence in Providing Care and Program Development in Long Term Care,” Texas Health Care Association (THCA) 72nd Annual Convention & Trade Show, September 2022
- “Volunteerism: What it is and Why It is Important,” Texas Association of Legal Professionals Annual Conference, Austin, Texas, October, 2019
- “Conditions of Participation: Compliance and Ethics Program – What it is and What You Need to Know: Parts 1 and 2,” Texas Health Care Association 69th Annual Convention & Trade Show, Grapevine, September, 2019
- “Health Care Disparities: What Are They and What Can We Do About Them: A Panel Discussion,” National Diversity Council 1st Annual Diversity and Leadership Conference, Dallas, April, 2019
- “Encouraging Efficient Disposition of Cases: Examining How Cooperation between Regulatory Attorneys and Litigators Can Help to More Efficiently Resolve Disputes,” 9th Annual Forum on Long Term Care and Senior Care: Compliance, Risk Management and Litigation Strategies, Miami, January, 2019
- “Important and Timely Topics for LTC Nurses,” Nurses Day Presentation, THCA 2018 Annual Convention, San Antonio, October, 2018
- “Nurse Peer Review in the Long Term Care Industry: Coming Soon To A Facility Near You,” THCA 2018 Annual Summer Conference, San Antonio, July, 2018
- “Administrative Litigation-Representing Clients in Front of State Agencies,” Austin Bar Association, Civil Litigation Section CLE Program, Austin, March, 2018
- “Lack of Diversity on Non-Profit Boards,” ACC: A Civil Society Podcast, Austin, December, 2017
- “Avoiding Ethical & Legal Pitfalls Regarding the Requirements of Participation,” THCA 67th Annual Convention and Trade Show, Houston, November, 2017
- “Introduction to Long Term Care, Home Health and Hospice Law,” AHLA Fundamentals of Health Care Conference, AHLA, Chicago, November, 2015, 2016, 2017
- “The ‘ATIONS’ Process-Improving Facility Performance and Survey Results,” THCA Summer Conference, Austin, July, 2017
- “Legal Aspects of Medical Practice: What You Don’t Know Can Get You in Trouble,” Driscoll Health System Grand Rounds Lecture Series, Corpus Christi, July, 2017
- “The Impact of Multiculturalism on the Health Care Industry,” Texas Diversity and Leadership Conference, Houston, April, 2017
- “Legal Aspects of Psychology: What You Don’t Know Can Hurt You!” Texas Psychological Association Annual Conference, Austin, November, 2016
- “Legal Aspects of the Practice of Medicine: What You Don’t Know Can Get You in Trouble,” Texas Medical Association Fall Conference, Frisco, October, 2016
- “Cultural Competence in Action: Diversity in Healthcare,” Panel Discussion, Central Texas Healthcare Diversity Summit, Texas Diversity Council, Austin, September, 2016
- “Post Acute Care Fundamentals,” American Bar Association, Health Law Section, August, 2016