Baerbel Schiller, a partner in the Kansas City and St. Louis offices, practices with the firm’s environmental group. Before joining Spencer Fane, Baerbel worked for the Environmental Protection Agency for 15 years in various management positions. At the EPA, Baerbel negotiated and litigated environmental cases arising under Superfund and RCRA and developed national EPA policies on regulating compliance, hazardous waste cleanups, Superfund and RCRA enforcement, and the reuse of contaminated sites.
Baerbel has represented clients across the country in environmental enforcement cases and site cleanups under RCRA, Superfund, and state hazardous waste and voluntary cleanup programs. Baerbel is known for getting cost-effective and pragmatic results for her clients and for her ability to negotiate results-based site cleanups and cost-effective site close-outs with regulators. Baerbel has represented clients in the purchase, sale, and lease of contaminated properties including former military facilities.
Baerbel has spoken to a variety of audiences about regulatory compliance, risk-based site cleanups, Superfund cost recovery and contribution actions, state voluntary cleanup programs, and vapor intrusion. In her presentations, Baerbel has in particular focused on how to work effectively with the EPA and state environmental agencies. Baerbel has been active in a variety of professional and community organizations including chair and vice-chair positions for the American Bar Association’s Superfund and Hazardous Waste Committees. Baerbel is a member of the St. Louis Regional Commerce and Growth Association, the Missouri Growth Association, and the German American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest.
- University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Law, 1981 (J.D.)
- University of Nebraska, 1972 (M.S.), summa cum laude
- University of Heidelberg, 1971 (B.A.)
- Missouri, 1982
- Chambers USA, 2014
- American Bar Association, Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law, Superfund and Hazardous Waste Committee, Former Chair; Former Vice-Chair
- Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Environment Committee
- German American Chamber of Commerce
- Missouri Growth Association
- St. Louis Regional Commerce and Growth Association