Spencer Fane Investigation attorneys serve organizations that confront significant legal challenges arising from internal misconduct. We determine the core facts and examine the legal risks and responsibilities, and work carefully with our clients to protect reputations and avoid disruption to operations.
Many of our litigators formerly served as prosecutors and in leadership roles with federal or state law enforcement. We focus on the law and regulation of finance, securities, healthcare, employment law, environmental law, sports and education law, among other areas.
While managing investigations, our attorneys counsel clients in handling both internal and external communications related to the investigation matter. We assist in communications to employees, constituents and the media that are consistent and concise. Our attorneys also help clients to avoid risks by identifying best practices, developing policies and handbooks, and providing prevention-based training and education.
Our recent investigation experience includes:
- Health and Human Services and CMS investigation of billing fraud and illegal kickbacks
- Federal Trade Commission investigation of Truth in Lending Act violations, EFTA, internet, and short-term lending actions
- Health and Human Services and Justice Department investigation of hospital billing practices and prescribing practices
- SEC and Justice Department investigation of improper payments to corporate officers and directors
- Investigation for private company victim of embezzlement
- Investigation for major metropolitan city regarding public corruption
- Title IX investigation for a university