Spencer Fane White Collar Defense and Investigations attorneys work with organizations and individuals facing high stakes investigations by government agencies. Our team is skilled in government investigations and focuses on managing these dynamic situations in line with our client’s goals.
Our attorneys include former federal and state prosecutors with substantial experience in all phases of complex criminal practice. We collaborate closely with colleagues in the Health Care, Financial Services, Intellectual Property, Education, and Labor and Employment practices to intentionally and thoughtfully put together teams to analyze the legal issues and work to resolve investigations promptly and with the best possible outcome.
Effective investigation counsel requires strategies that respond to the government, mitigate damage, determine the critical facts and support the client’s near term and long term interests. Within that framework, we handle contacts with regulatory agencies and law enforcement and advise clients about continued operations during the investigation process. We assist our clients in communicating internal and external messages with an eye on the markets and our client’s reputation and credibility. At every stage, we work to mitigate the risk to our client.
Our attorneys have significant experience representing clients in criminal and civil enforcement actions and regulatory matters. We regularly deal with prosecution authorities across the enforcement spectrum: the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney’s Offices across the country, state attorneys general, FBI, DEA, U.S. Secret Service, SEC, IRS, EPA, OSHA, HHS/CMS and others.
Our government investigations experience includes:
- Representation of a manufacturing company in an investigation by EPA, OSHA, and the Department of Justice of possible air, water, hazardous waste and plant safety violations.
- Representation of a company in a joint federal and state criminal investigation of a catastrophic incident.
- Designed and conducted a large-scale internal investigation focusing on executive financial misconduct and accounting irregularities.
- Representation of a hospital and hospital executives in federal investigations of billing and prescribing practices.
- Representation of executives and Board members in SEC and Department of Justice investigation of improper payments to corporate officers.
- Representation of city entities in federal investigation of corruption by high level elected and appointed officials.