Sonia Shah’s practice focuses on business, construction defect, and real estate litigation but her diverse experience includes employment and copyright litigation.
Graduating from St. Xavier’s College of Arts in Ahmedabad, India, Sonia earned a degree in economics topping her college in her Econometrics major. As a law student in India, Sonia won several awards as the highest ranker in Gujarat University in multiple legal subjects and represented her University in national level moot court competitions. Following her legal education, Sonia worked as an attorney with a consumer organization where her experiences included drafting of perhaps the first Freedom of Information and Right to Privacy Bill of India which was vigorously debated at a national level.
Sonia pursued a Doctorate of Jurisprudence degree at Santa Clara University School of Law which was followed by significant litigation experience covering a wide range of litigation from personal injury and construction defects to copyright infringement and business disputes.
Sonia is a member of the Santa Clara County Bar Association and has appeared before the First District and Third District Court of Appeals.
- Santa Clara University School of Law (J.D.)
- Sir L.A. Shah Law College, Gujarat University (LL.B.)
- St. Xavier’s College of Arts, India (B.A.)
- California, 1999
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Sonia’s Prominent experiences representing clients across the State of California include:
- Derivative actions involving allegations of fraud, trade secret misappropriation and breach of fiduciary duty;
- Effectively arguing in-limine motions forcing the dismissal of a case during trial followed by a successful attorney fee motion and judgment in excess of $600,000 in clients’ favor;
- Defending multiple lawsuits filed by a litigious disgruntled bank customer over a six-year period including successfully defeating each appeal brought before the First District Court of Appeal;
- Winning pre-trial motions in a breach of fiduciary duty matter resulting in settlement in clients’ favor on the first day of trial;
- Securing a two-million dollar plus arbitration award including complete recovery of attorney’s fees in a binding arbitration involving an inadequate supervision/management claim against a multinational company;
- Successfully prosecuting and settling a $10 million dollar plus construction defect lawsuit by taking and defending more than three dozen depositions over a three-year period focusing on highly expert-driven issues, defeating multiple summary judgment motions, and arguing an appeal before the Third District Court of Appeals;
- Forcing an early settlement of multiple copyright infringement cases on behalf of a leading apartment association;
- Effectively handling a high profile Misappropriation of Trade Secrets matter in federal court involving novel issues of electronic discovery, preservation and spoliation of evidence, and cross-motions for summary judgment.
- California Bar Association
- Santa Clara County Bar Association