Pete Heaven is a Partner in the firm’s Real Estate group who helps residential and commercial real estate developers understand the legalese of government in land use by drawing upon his experience as City Attorney of the City of Merriam, Kan., for 18 years.
Pete’s experience in local government provides his clients with an insiders’ perspective and gives him an advantage when presenting proposals to cities and counties for planning, zoning, platting, public incentives, tax abatement and private activity bonds. He provides counsel to contractors, helping them with contract negotiation, bidding and construction disputes.
Outside of his practice, Pete frequently presents to professional and civic groups, and has served as co-editor of the Kansas Bar Association’s Real Estate Handbook.
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association; Board of Directors, 1988 – 1989
- Kansas Bar Association; Executive Committee, Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section, 1986-present
- Johnson County Airport Commission, Chairman, 1999; Member, 1993 – 2002
- Baptist Medical Center; Board of Trustees, 1988 – 1998; Chairman, 1995
- Past President, Shawnee Mission Rotary Club
- Past President, Safehome, Inc.
- Past President, Shawnee Rotary Club
- Transportation Lawyers Association, 2010-present
- Best Lawyers in America, 2003-2023
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year, Real Estate Law, 2010; Litigation – Land Use and Zoning, 2012 and 2021
- Chambers USA, 2003-2022
- Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers, 2005-2022
- Kansas Bar Association, Outstanding Service Award, 2004
- Kansas City Magazine, Kansas City’s Top Lawyers, 2002
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL), Fellow
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys (ACMA), Fellow
- Kansas Bar Association Foundation, Fellow
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rating
Contact Pete Heaven at 913.327.5166 or email@example.com.