Mike Patterson helps businesses navigate corporate, compliance and securities matters. He has extensive experience in domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances, equity and debt offerings, foreign direct investment, distribution, agency and licensing matters, and market entry strategies. He efficiently resolves legal matters by identifying key issues, focusing resources, and executing on a plan.
Mike also regularly advises U.S. and foreign clients in connection with the establishment, structuring, and compliance for international operations, including the establishment of international distribution networks. Also known as “Miguel” after a decade-long stint living and working in Central America, he reads, writes, speaks, and negotiates in Spanish. In addition, he has done legal work for clients in Canada, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Latin America, and the Caribbean.
- Arizona State University – Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law, 1995 (J.D.), cum laude
- Arizona State University, 1984 (B.A.), summa cum laude
- Arizona, 1995
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona, 1995
- Represented a company through its lifecycle of product development, consulting with an international nuclear giant, and selling to that international nuclear company. Handled the successful resolution of disputes over earn-outs in the years following.
- Successful corporate representation of a distribution company in preparation for a coming offering. Managed corporate clean up and due diligence. Preparation of the first SEC “plain English” pilot prospectus for an initial public offering.
- Worked with Italian owners of a manufacturing company to address their many questions about cost, timing, U.S., and international legal, cultural, and business issues, to planning and budgeting to formation of an entity and coordination of services to get them quickly into business in Arizona.
- Governor’s Arizona-Mexico Commission
- Governor’s Solar Energy Advisory Task Force, 2013
- Best Lawyers in America, 2019-2024
- “Considerations When Selling Your Business,” Founders Guide Post Podcast, October 2022
- “Commercial: Issues with International Asset Sales,” Midwestern Bankruptcy Institute, October 7, 2022
- “Access Public Venture Capital,” Arizona Technology Council, October 5, 2022
- “Global Success,” Global Chamber, part of Global Is Good initiative, August 25, 2022
- “The Ultimate Guide to Starting Your Business,” Arizona Commerce Authority Small Business Boot Camp, January 25, 2022
- “XBorder Mexico Real Estate Issues,” College of Estate Planning Attorneys, January 3, 2019
- “Qualified Opportunity Zones,” Southern Arizona Mayors and Arizona Regional Economic Development Foundation, November 27, 2018