Leslie Greathouse helps businesses accused of violating laws maneuver the labyrinth of complex litigation by representing them in state and federal courts and in arbitration and mediation proceedings. Whether she is advising clients on risk avoidance, counseling them on an insurance matter, addressing their business needs within current legal and regulatory constructs, or using her skills as a trained mediator, Leslie is at her best when she is helping a client resolve a problem or challenge facing their business.
In serving as General Counsel at Spencer Fane, Leslie also has the experience of walking in her clients’ shoes and leverages that unique perspective and understanding when advising individuals and businesses on a range of matters. Leslie has also served as one of the firm’s loss prevention partners and as a member of the Professional Responsibility Committee since 2010. She was named the full-time General Counsel for the firm in 2018.
As part of her current duties, Leslie advises the firm and individual attorneys on ethics, loss prevention and risk issues. She is the chair of the firm’s Professional Responsibility Committee and is a member of the firm’s Risk Committee. The General Counsel team at Spencer Fane manages the conflict of interest system, addresses client contracts and audits, oversees the firm’s regulatory compliance, and regularly acts as defense counsel for the firm in various matters. Leslie often gives presentations at in-house and external seminars on ethics and loss prevention topics. She also uses her experience as General Counsel to assist attorneys outside the firm with ethical and professional issues, including ethics complaints.
- University of San Diego School of Law (J.D.)
- University of Nebraska
- California, 1991
- Kansas, 1998
- Missouri, 1997
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Served as coordinating class action counsel for the national defense of securitization trusts in dozens of cases alleging assignee predatory lending liability.
- Defends lenders and loan servicers in commercial, consumer credit and other financial services litigation, including the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Truth in Lending Act, Home Owners Equity Protection Act, and related state statutes. Cases include substantial class action suits.
- Handles emergency litigation, including pursuing and responding to motions for temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions, in a variety of areas including receivership, breach of contract, and intellectual property disputes involving noncompetition, non-solicitation, and confidentiality covenants.
- Missouri Lawyers Media’s 2020 Women’s Justice Corporate Award
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2009-2010, 2019
- Kansas Bar Association, Ethics Advisory Committee, 2022-2023