Johnny C. Garrett IV uses consistent and diligent counsel to guide his clients through challenging and difficult circumstances, helping them to meet their goals while maintaining successful operations even when negotiation or litigation becomes necessary. He focuses his practice in the areas of business transactions and formations, civil and commercial litigation, estate planning, and probate.
As a lawyer, Johnny has grown his practice to include small- and medium-size businesses, individuals who need assistance in the probate and estate planning stages of their lives, and all clients who find themselves in litigation. He also steps into a general counsel role with many of his clients when their needs do not justify an in-house counsel.
The most rewarding part of being a lawyer for Johnny is the opportunity to gain people’s trust by providing quality legal counsel. Johnny enjoys serving his clients and solving their legal problems through litigation or negotiation.
In 2018, Johnny was elected state representative for the 45th District, which includes Cottontown, Goodlettsville, Hendersonville, Millersville, Shackle Island, Walnut Grove, and White House of Sumner County.
While also practicing law, Johnny remains active in the Sumner County community. He is a board member of the United Way of Sumner County, a graduate of Leadership Sumner, and a member of the Hendersonville Rotary Club. Johnny serves on the President’s Advisory Board at Goodpasture Christian School and is president of the Goodlettsville Baseball program. He believes the talents he has as a lawyer provide an obligation to give back to his community.
- Nashville School of Law, 2006 (J.D.)
- University of Tennessee, 2001 (B.S.)
- Tennessee, 2007
- Defends and pursues claims for small to medium-size businesses.
- Successfully defends individuals and businesses in all litigation matters.
Estate Planning, Probate Law, Wills, and Trust
- Assists clients in the preparation of various estate planning documents, including but not limited to:
- Last Wills and Testaments Durable
- General Powers of Attorney
- Healthcare Powers of Attorney
- Living Wills
- Creation of Family Foundations
- Tennessee Community Property Trusts
- Tennessee Tenancy by the Entirety Trusts
- Tennessee Investment Services Trusts
- Spousal Lifetime Access Trusts
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts
- Handles complex probate cases involving but not limited to:
- Estates with Business Interests
- Estates Subject to Federal and Estate Taxes
- Multimillion-Dollar Estates
- Estate and Probate Litigation
- Drafts commercial and residential lease agreements.
- Drafts loan documents.
- Contested divorce of all types including large assets, alimony, and child support matters.
- Contested custody matters.
- Orders of protection.
Nonprofits and Tax-Exempt Entities
- Assists various types of 501(c) entities in forming the organization, obtaining tax-exempt status, and filing IRS form 1023 and other applicable forms.
- 100 Club of Sumner County, Co-Founder and Board Member
- Tennessee House of Representatives 45th District
- United Way of Sumner County, Board Member
- Goodpasture Christian School, President’s Advisory Board
- Leadership Sumner, 2007 Graduate and Board Member
- Volunteer State Community College Foundation, Board Member
- Hendersonville Rotary Club
- Goodlettsville Help Center
- Goodlettsville Baseball, Inc., President
- Best Lawyers in America, 2024
- Nashville Bar Association
- Sumner County Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Goodlettsville Chamber of Commerce
- Hendersonville Chamber of Commerce
- White House Chamber of Commerce