Gerry Greiman concentrates his practice in areas of business disputes, trust and estate disputes, and other complex civil litigation. He has handled and won a broad range of cases in various federal and state courts around the country, including the U.S. Supreme Court. Gerry is skilled and experienced at handling matters at both the trial and appellate levels, and in the alternative dispute resolution context.
Gerry received his law degree from Washington University in St. Louis in 1975, where he ranked first in his class, wrote for the law review and was elected to the Order of the Coif. During 1975-1977, Gerry served as a Law Clerk for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit.
From 1977 to 1986, Gerry was engaged in private practice in Washington, D.C., primarily handling complex civil litigation. He returned to St. Louis in 1986. Gerry is listed in Best Lawyers in America, Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, and Who’s Who in American Law.
Gerry has been active in a wide variety of community activities. His positions have included: Board Chair, Jewish Federation of St. Louis; Board Member, Legislative / Political Committee Chair and PAC Treasurer, Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region and Southwest Missouri; and Treasurer, Good Government for Missouri PAC. Other past positions include: Vice Chair, Jewish Federation of St. Louis; President, St. Louis Jewish Community Relations Council; Vice Chair and Task Force Co-Chair, Jewish Council for Public Affairs; Chair, University City Civil Service Board; Chair, Missouri Commission on Human Rights; Chair, Missouri State Parks Advisory Board; Chair, Missouri Deferred Compensation Commission; Board Member, Missouri Coalition for the Environment; Chair, University City TIF Commission; Member, University City Industrial Development Authority; and District of Columbia Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner. Gerry is a graduate of Leadership St. Louis. He is married to former Missouri State Representative Susan Carlson.
- Washington University School of Law, 1975 (J.D.), Order of the Coif
- George Washington University, 1971 (A.B.)
- Missouri, 1975
- District of Columbia, 1977
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Briefed, argued, and won First Amendment action in U.S. Supreme Court, which struck down municipal sign ordinance. City of Ladue v. Gilleo, 512 U.S. 43, 1994.
- Represented challengers to congressional redistricting map in litigation resulting in recognition of principle that districts must be compact. Pearson v. Koster, 359 S.W. 3d 35 and 367 S.W. 3d, Mo. banc 2012.
- Obtained reversal on appeal of trial court judgment in professional liability action. Tucker v. Vincent, 471 S.W. 3d 787, Mo. App. 2015.
- Obtained summary judgment providing that client is entitled to indemnification, as third-party beneficiary of indemnity agreement, with respect to tens of millions of dollars of environmental liabilities. Global Energy Finance LLC v. Peabody Energy Corp., 2010 WL 4056164, Del. Superior.
- Successfully represented mold manufacturer in litigation with mold buyer involving claims for breach of contract and breach of warranties. ARC Industries, Inc. v. Siegel-Robert, Inc., 157 S.W.3d 344, Mo. App. 2005.
- Obtained permanent injunction on behalf of national television network requiring a local broadcast station to carry network programming in accordance with the parties’ affiliation agreement, and secured affirmance of judgment on appeal. Home Shopping Club, Inc. v. Roberts Broadcasting Co., 989 S.W. 2d 174, Mo. App. 1998.
- Retained as appellate counsel in fraud/breach of contract case by defendant who had suffered $14.5 million judgment, and obtained outright reversal on appeal. Missouri Consolidated Health Care Plan v. Community Health Plan, 81 S.W. 3d 34, Mo. App. 2002.
- Retained as appellate counsel in securities fraud litigation by defendant who had suffered $2.7 million adverse judgment, and obtained outright reversal on peal. Comprehensive Care Corp. v. RehabCare Corp., 98 F. 3d 1063, 8th Cir. 1996.
- Served as co-counsel for St. Louis County Executive Buzz Westfall in First Amendment case concerning rights of lawyer / public officials to criticize judicial decisions. Matter of Westfall, 808 S.W. 2d 829, Mo. banc 1991. See ABA Journal, October, 1991, p. 22.
- Successfully defended former government official, at trial court level and on appeal, on claims of libel, slander, violations of civil rights and other tort claims. Reuber v. Food Chemical News, Inc. 899 F. 2d 271, 4th Cir. 1990.
- Successfully represented manufacturer and seller of vending machines, at trial and on appeal, in action involving claims of competing creditors to vending machines and lease payments. Business Credit Leasing, Inc. v. Danor Corp., 4 F. 3d 993, 6th Cir. 1993.
- Obtained judgment following trial ousting trustee of three private trusts and assessing damages of $2.9 million, and secured affirmance of judgment on appeal by Missouri Supreme Court. Deutsch v. Wolff, 994 S.W. 2d 561, Mo. banc 1999.
- Represented architect in antitrust action which resulted in invalidation of anti-supplantation ethical standard under Sherman Act, and substantial monetary settlement. Mardirosian v. American Institute of Architects, 474 F. Supp. 628, D.D.C. 1979.
- Successfully represented former director of failed savings & loan in action by Resolution Trust Corporation alleging breach of fiduciary duties, negligence and gross negligence. Resolution Trust Corp. v. Gershman, 829 F. Supp. 1095, E.D. Mo. 1993.
- Successfully defended securities brokerage firm and employee against civil claims alleging securities fraud and violations of RICO. Palumbo v. I.M. Simon & Co., 701 F. Supp. 1407, N.D. Ill. 1988.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of defendant, and affirmance of judgment on appeal, in action seeking $10 million in damages for alleged breach of real estate option contract. Koman v. Kroenke, 913 S.W. 2d 108, Mo. App. 1995.
- Successfully represented defendants in class actions brought under the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). Fun Services of Missouri v. Drury Inns, Inc.; and Brodeur v. Swan Financial Corporation, St. Louis County Circuit Court.
- Successfully represented plaintiff in action against former top employees for breach of fiduciary duties and to enforce invention-assignment and non-compete agreements. E-Z-Dock, Inc. v. Moody, St. Louis County Circuit Court.
- Successfully represented pharmaceutical company in breach of contract litigation arising out of supply and marketing agreement. Andrx Therapeutics, Inc. v. Mallinckrodt, Inc., U.S. Dist. Ct. S.D. Fla.
- Successfully represented defendant in action alleging misappropriation of trade secrets and unfair competition. Kinergy Corporation v. Conveyor Dynamics Corporation, et al., U.S. Dist. Ct. E.D. Mo.
- Successfully represented competitive local exchange carrier in suit brought by Southwestern Bell, attacking preferred marketing arrangement with a mall developer as an unlawful exclusive arrangement. Southwestern Bell Telephone, L.P. v. Davidson Telecommunications, Inc., U.S. Dist. Ct. E.D. Mo.
- Successfully represented defendant manufacturer and lessor of equipment used to manufacture recordable compact discs against multi-faceted claims for fraud and breach of warranty, as well as on counterclaims. TME Manufacturing Co., Inc. v. Fairchild Technologies USA, Inc., U.S. Dist. Ct. E.D. Mo.
- Successfully represented officers and directors of defunct publicly traded insurance company, in various trial court and appellate proceedings spread over 12 cases, against claims for breach of fiduciary duties and other tort claims. Manchester Life & Casualty Management Corporation litigation, U.S. Dist. Ct. E.D. Mo., St. Louis County Circuit Ct., City of St. Louis Circuit Court.
- Successfully represented defendant in securities fraud action brought by a group of physician / investors, who sought damages in excess of $6 million. Crouch v. Mebane, Randolph County Circuit Court.
- Obtained injunction on behalf of restaurant owners in action for trademark infringement against owners of restaurant using a similar name. Hodak’s Restaurant v. Hodak, U.S. Dist. Ct. E.D. Mo.
- Successfully represented surviving family members in product liability / wrongful death action arising out of collision with over-width farm implement. McKinley v. Nixon’s Farm Equipment, Jackson County Circuit Court.
- Successfully represented plaintiff in handicapped discrimination class action, resulting in University agreeing to spend $2.5 million to make facilities wheelchair accessible. Brown v. Washington University, U.S. Dist. Ct. E.D. Mo. See ABA Journal, March, 1989, p.26; August, 1990, p.13.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 1975-1977
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2005-2023
- Best Lawyers in America, 2011-2024
- Who’s Who in American Law