Gene Eckel advocated for clients across the country before mediators, arbitration panels, judges, and juries to find successful resolutions to complex litigation matters, helping them to navigate potentially damaging exposure to both operations and reputation.
This included a specific focus on the multifamily real estate industry where he had an established track record of providing landlords and property management companies with a go-to resource for proactively resolving legal issues, helping them maintain efficient operations in conjunction with tenants. His background in public policy and general commercial and civil litigation provided him with valuable insight into handling the full spectrum of litigious real estate matters.
In addition to his experience in litigation, Gene drafted and helped pass state legislation in Nebraska involving the relationships between tenants and landlords. He was a proven advocate for property owners, taking a deep interest in understanding his clients’ day-to-day operations and unique business objectives. This allowed him to provide counsel that helped maintain regulatory compliance with state and federal laws and avoid litigation whenever possible.
Gene pursued litigation strategy and tactical decisions that focused on resolving matters as early as possible and utilizing settlements and other alternative dispute resolution methods beneficial to a client’s unique objectives.
Outside of legal work, Gene served on the board of directors for the Apartment Association of Nebraska and Nebraska Association of Commercial Property Owners and was a member of the Legislative Committee and Affordable Housing Committee for the National Apartment Association.
- Creighton University School of Law, 1999 (J.D.)
- University of Nebraska – Lincoln, 1994 (B.A.)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska
- Apartment Association of Nebraska, Volunteer of the Year Award, 2020
- Best Student Article, 32 CREIGHTON L. REV. 1311, Fourth Issue, April 1999
- Nebraska State Bar Association
- Member of House of Delegates, 2010-2023
- Legislation Committee, 2008-2023
- Leadership Academy Member
- Apartment Association of Nebraska
- Board of Directors
- Legislative Committee Co-Chair
- National Apartment Association
- Legislative Committee
- Affordable Housing Committee
- Nebraska Association of Commercial Property Owners
- The New Standard Applicable To State Taxation Of A Nonresident – An Analysis Of The Supreme Court’s Treatment Of The Privileges And Immunities Clause In Lunding v. New York Tax Appeals Tribunal, 32 CREIGHTON L. REV. 1311, 1999