Derek Larsen-Chaney helps clients to close real estate deals in an efficient manner while prioritizing the avoidance of any unnecessary or potentially costly delays during and after the transaction. His strong background in real estate is beneficial to his work on property transactions, which he can analyze from a business and legal perspective while understanding the concerns and challenges for stakeholders involved.
This informed counsel comes from Derek’s experience prior to entering private practice when he worked as a closing specialist for a Tampa-area title company, where he focused on drafting contracts and managing real estate transactions.
The scope of Derek’s private practice includes business and finance matters with a focus on real estate transactions, commercial lending, and estate planning. He assists clients with the creation of business governance documents and works frequently with local, national, and international banks and nontraditional lenders to complete complex commercial lending transactions.
Derek also works with clients in preparing for and restructuring in the wake of mergers and acquisitions, and the acceptance of venture capital and private equity investors. This can include guidance to startups and entrepreneurs in key phases of the processes for secured financing, private placement fundraising, and Securities and Exchange Commission reporting obligations.
- Stetson University College of Law, 2012 (J.D.), magna cum laude
- Florida State University, 1996 (B.A.), cum laude
- Represented lending institutions in commercial lending and real estate transactions.
- Assisted in the successful acquisition of dozens of assisted living facilities.
- Resolved disputes between developers, homeowners, and homeowners associations.
- Helped clients obtain planning and zoning approval from various government entities for construction, advertising, and other special uses.
- Assisted client in preparation of private placement memorandum as part of capital fundraising effort.
- Structured and documented clients’ private equity investment acquisitions.
- Represented several lenders in commercial and residential foreclosure proceedings.
- Created governing documents for a variety of business clients under tight deadlines.
- Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, Real Estate Law; Trusts and Estates, 2021-2023
- The Florida Bar
- Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
- Fidelity National Title
- Attorneys’ Title Fund Services LLC
- First American Title Insurance Company, Attorney Agent
- Bay Area Real Estate Council