Dean Neuwirth is a long-time civil and criminal case litigator with a broad range of experience in numerous industries and fields of law.
Dean focuses his current practice within the firm’s insurance group. The group advises insurers at the pre-litigation stage, and it also represents insurers through all stages of litigation if necessary. Dean’s recent work for the insurance group has included analyzing insurers’ potential duties to defend and/or indemnify insureds who are sued by third parties, defending insurers from first-party claims arising from alleged damage to commercial and residential property, and performing appellate-related work stemming from such claims.
Previously, Dean served primarily as an appellate lawyer and was personally mentored in appellate work by Colorado Supreme Court Justice Jean Dubofsky after she returned to private practice. In his time as an appellate lawyer, Dean briefed over 100 appeals and conducted over 40 appellate oral arguments. In 2016, he was named the Best Lawyers in America Colorado Appellate Lawyer of the year.
Dean’s appellate experience gave him valuable insight into how judges decide cases in matters as diverse as an oil and gas joint venture dispute, an airplane crash, breach of a franchise agreement for a legal marijuana business, Congressional redistricting following a census, slip-and-fall injuries in the workers’ compensation system, and a Clean Air Act criminal prosecution of a Fortune 500 corporation.
Dean focuses on understanding his client’s goals, the trial record, and existing law to determine not only how best to win an appeal, but also how to use the appellate process to try to preserve good law for his clients or change unfavorable law. He also strives to educate his clients about the appellate process and options on the front-end so they can be better informed for decisions in the trial court itself.
Dean helps trial lawyers with motions practice, particularly in complex cases. He has helped conceptualize, research, and draft briefs relating to dispositive motions, class certification, and expert testimony. He also assists trial lawyers in formulating and preserving issues for potential appeal.
- Harvard Law School, 1986 (J.D.), magna cum laude
- Princeton University, 1982 (B.A.), summa cum laude
- Colorado, 1987
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Judge John L. Kane, U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, 1986-1987
- Best Lawyers in America, Colorado Appellate Lawyer of the Year, 2016
- Best Lawyers in America, Appellate Practice, 2006-2024; Criminal Defense: General Practice, 2024
- Colorado Super Lawyers, Appellate, 2006-2021
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Preeminent Peer-Review Rated
- 5280 Magazine, Appellate Top Lawyer, 2015-2023
- Office of the Colorado Presiding Disciplinary Judge, hearing board panel member (sat as a judge on three hearing panels regarding alleged violations of the Colorado Rules of Professional Conduct)
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association