- Lead counsel for a major petroleum refiner in defeating motions for TROs and preliminary injunctions by over 100 California dealers challenging lease expirations and franchise terminations and nonrenewals.
- Lead counsel for one of the big six oil companies in multidistrict litigation involving 34 class actions alleging consumer fraud for allegedly failing to temperature-adjust motor fuel sales.
- Lead counsel in multi-jurisdiction price discrimination claims brought by present and former dealers of major oil companies — Missouri, Illinois, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia and Maryland.
- Prevailed in a monthlong trial in California defending a major oil company in its model contract used throughout the United States with ancillary cases in Indiana, Missouri and Ohio.
- Lead counsel for a major oil company facing gas station franchisees’ claims of unfair wholesale pricing. A bellwether trial in California Superior Court in Los Angeles involved four out of the hundreds of similar claims from dealers nationwide, and it concluded in favor of the oil company, with the jury determining its pricing was fair.
Securities & Financial Services
- Lead counsel for a national brokerage firm in consolidated class actions alleging wage and hour violations for over 10,000 brokers.
- Was selected as counsel for the Missouri Hospital Association to prepare its amicus brief on the seminal case establishing the limitations on a physician’s right to sue hospitals for credentialing decisions.
- Successfully defending numerous hospital systems in putative class actions challenging hospital charges to uninsured patients.