Steve Ling provides collaborative legal counsel to developers, builders, corporations, small businesses, lenders, and investors, helping those clients to efficiently close sophisticated real estate and commercial transactions beneficial to all stakeholders involved in the deal. He regularly drafts and negotiates purchase agreements, leases, and general business contracts, while utilizing his business background to provide strong advocacy for his clients’ interests. Steve also helps builders and developers obtain zoning and land use approvals.
Even when faced with potentially time-consuming and costly issues, Steve proactively seeks out alternate, practical paths that minimize time and resources while maximizing success. He strives to maintain a working knowledge of recent developments in the real estate industry, providing value-added service by effectively applying that knowledge for the benefit of clients.
In addition, Steve has earned certification as a Real Property Law Specialist by the Minnesota State Bar Association.
- University of Minnesota School of Law (J.D.), cum laude
- Dordt University (B.A.), magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
Real Estate Transactions
- Represented developer in purchase, ownership structure and financing of 500+ acre commercial and residential development.
- Served as lead counsel for the sale of multiple hotels and corresponding 1031 exchange transactions.
- Represented multiple developers and builders in obtaining government approvals for residential and commercial development projects.
- Served as lead counsel in representing owner of commercial shopping center in negotiating leases with national tenants.
- Represented landowners in the negotiation and drafting of complex ground leases.
- Routinely represented municipal clients in negotiating and drafting telecommunications leases with national wireless telecommunications carriers.
- Represented numerous sellers and buyers in the acquisition, sale and leasing of various multi-family, commercial and industrial properties.
Foreclosures & Workouts
- Represented investors and builders in the negotiation of successful workout of mortgage loans.
- Represented multiple lenders and borrowers in foreclosure proceedings involving various types of property.
- Apple Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Eagan Chamber of Commerce
- Northern Dakota County Chamber of Commerce
- Avail Academy, Former Board Chair and Treasurer
- Faith Christian Reformed Church, Former Board Member, Board Chair and Treasurer
- Kids ’n Kinship, Former Board Member
- Bethany Christian Services, Former Board Member
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, 2013-2023
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2008-2012
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Real Property Law Section
- Dakota County Bar Association
- Missouri State Bar Association
- First Judicial District, Ethics Committee