Stephen A. Weinstein knows how important employee benefits are when it comes to attracting and retaining good employees. He leverages his experience in this area to make sure that these benefit programs actually do what they are designed to do – contribute to the long-term success of the client and its employees.
Many federal regulations complicate how companies can design and implement employee benefit programs, such as the Internal Revenue Code, ERISA, and the Taft-Hartley Act.
Drawing on four decades of experience, Stephen helps clients and fiduciaries navigate the regulatory environment, and he advises them on a range of legal matters that affect employee benefit plans:
- Retirement benefits
- Employee stock ownership plans
- Termination and withdrawal liability matters
- Review and negotiation of contracts with consultants and investment managers
- Litigation against the plan and its fiduciaries under ERISA
Stephen’s experience also encompasses corporate law with an emphasis on the selection of a business entity’s structure, mergers and acquisitions, sales of businesses and real estate. His advanced training in taxation allows him to guide clients on strategies to minimize taxes as well, such as foundations, 501(c)(3) organizations, self-funded insurance programs, and other tax-exempt corporate structures.
- New York University, 1968 (LLM)
- University of Denver, 1967 (J.D.)
- University of Colorado, 1964 (B.S.)
- Colorado, 1968
- U.S. Tax Court
- Represented boards of large self-funded multiple employer welfare arrangements.
- Represented, over the many years of practice, many business entities in mergers and acquisitions.
- Experienced in representing governmental retirement and disability plans.
- Dental Lifeline Network (f/k/a National / Colorado Foundation of Dentistry for the Handicapped)
- Temple Sinai
- Cherry Hills III Homeowners Association
- American Jewish Committee, Former Member
- Greater Denver Tax Council, Former Member
- Jewish Family and Children’s Services, Former Member
- Denver Advisory Board, Former Member
- Anti-Defamation League, Former Member
- Denver Ballpark Development Committee, Former Member
- Lower Downtown District, Inc., Former Member
- Best Lawyers in America, 2022-2024
- American Dental Association, Honorary Membership, 1994
- Anti-Defamation League, Chairman’s Award, 1996
- Colorado Contractors Association, Associate of the Year, 2005
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans