Scott Goldstein’s practice concentrates in the areas of bankruptcy and reorganization for businesses, representation of secured creditors and creditors’ committees in workouts and bankruptcies, and bond default situations both in federal and state court.
Scott received his bachelor’s degree in accounting in 1977 and his law degree in 1980 from the University of Missouri-Columbia, where he served as an editor of the Missouri Law Review. Scott has been consistently listed in Best Lawyers in America’s Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law section, Super Lawyers‘ Bankruptcy & Creditor / Debtor Rights, Banking, Bonds / Government Finance and has for several years been recognized in Best of the Bar by the Kansas City Business Journal.
Scott was inducted into The American College of Bankruptcy in 2011. His selection for the College recognizes his professional excellence and contributions to the fields of bankruptcy and insolvency. Scott is a frequent lecturer and has published numerous articles on creditors’ and debtors’ rights issues.
- University of Missouri School of Law, 1980 (J.D.)
- University of Missouri – Columbia, 1977 (B.A.)
- Missouri, 1980
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma
- Tenth Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel
Unsecured Creditor Committee Representation
- In re Powell Valley Health Care, Inc., U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Wyoming, Case No.
- In re Peabody Energy Corporation, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Missouri, Case
- In re Arch Coal, Inc., U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Missouri, Case No. 16-40120
- In re Atchison Casting Corporation, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Missouri, Case
- In re Noranda Aluminum, Inc., U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Missouri, Case No.
- In re Bakers Footwear Group, Inc., U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Missouri, Case
- In re CareFore Medical Inc., U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Kansas, Case No. 06-20063
- In re Continental AFA Dispensing Company, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of
Missouri, Case no. 08-45921
- In re Falcon Products, Inc., U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Missouri, Case No. 05-
- In re House of Lloyd Sales, LLC, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Missouri, Case No.
- In re Lady Baltimore Foods, Inc., U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Kansas, Case No. 02-43429
- In re Landreth Lumber Company, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Illinois, Case No.
- In re Northwest Missouri Biofuels, LLC, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Missouri,
Case No. 09-50160
- In re Sleep Center Mattress Company, LLC, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of
Missouri, Case No. 10-44892
- In re Trism, Inc., U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Missouri, Case No. 01-31323
- In re Valley Food Services, LLC, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Missouri, Case No.
- In re Weld Wheel Industries, Inc., U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Missouri, Case
Counsel To Bond Trustee
- In Re National Benevolent Association
- In Re Ormet Corporation
- In Re Erickson Retirement Communities, LLC
- In Re Lincolnshire Campus, LLC, et al.
- In Re Lake Lotawana Community Improvement District (Chapter 9)
- In Re Southwind Hospice, Inc.
- Enright/Arlington Community Improvement District, St. Louis, Missouri
- Orpheum Theater Community Improvement District Property and Sales Tax Revenue Bonds, St. Louis, Missouri
- Elderly Housing Revenue Bonds (Centenary Towers Apartments Project), St. Louis, Missouri
- The Industrial Development Authority of the City of St. Louis, Missouri Senior Lien Revenue Bonds (St. Louis Convention Center Headquarters Hotel Project)
- CME – Stonegate Meadows, Inc.
- CME – Santa Fe Village
- Pickwick Apartments, Kansas City, Missouri
- City of Moberly (Mamtek Project), Missouri
- Rocky Mountain Roller Hockey League, Colorado
- In Re Dick Simon Trucking, Inc.
- In Re Rocor International, Inc.
- In Re Wire Rope Corporation of America, Incorporated
- In Re Arrow Speed Warehouse, Inc.
- In Re Crescent Oil Company, Inc.
- Also represented debtor or attorney for trustee in numerous Chapter 11 cases in which confirmed plans of reorganization were obtained or liquidations of debtors’ assets resulted in substantial distributions to creditors, including:
- In Re Phillips House Associates, Ltd
- In Re Hudson Oil Company
- In re Rockhill Associates Nursing Home, Inc.
- In re Westport Trucking Company
- In re Blacklight, Inc.
- Mid-America Broadcasting of Topeka, Inc.
- In Re Haven Properties, Inc.
- Represented national vehicle rental company in bankruptcy and collection matters in Missouri and Kansas
- Represented international farm equipment manufacturer and credit subsidiary in all secured transactions, financing and collection litigation in the United States, responsible for supervision and/or representation of creditor in hundreds of collection, foreclosure and bankruptcy cases in excess of $5,000,000
- Represented creditors and creditor groups of potentially responsible parties (PRPs) with environmental claims in excess of $40,000,000, on a national basis, regarding debtor PRPs and/or owners of hazardous waste sites, including:
- In Re Insilco Corporation
- In Re Eagle-Picher Industries, Inc.
- In re Mid-Region Petroleum, Inc.
- In Re Trans World Airlines, Inc.
- Represented group of bank creditors, and later acted as attorneys for the Creditors’ Committee in In Re ISC Financial Corporation involving assets of approximately $50,000,000
- Lawdragon 500 Leading U.S. Bankruptcy and Restructuring Lawyers, 2020, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America, 2001-2024
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2022
- American College of Bankruptcy Fellow, Class of 2011
- Kansas City Business Journal, Best of the Bar, 2006-2014, 2016
- IFLR1000, Restructuring and Insolvency, 2022
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2005-2022
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Kansas City Bankruptcy Bar Association
- American College of Bankruptcy
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Numerous publications on bankruptcy and creditors’ rights and default and restructuring, including the following:
- The Missouri Bar’s annual Bankruptcy Institute, 1996, 1998
- University of Missouri-Columbia’s annual Year in Review (Bankruptcy), 1991-1996, 1998
- “Executory Contracts and Unexpired Leases,” Missouri Bankruptcy Practice, Volume I, Co-author of supplement to Chapter 4, MoBar 1994
- “Fundamentals of Bankruptcy,” National Business Institute, Inc., 1995