Robb Preston is a seasoned real estate attorney that enjoys helping clients by providing creative, economical and practical solutions to complex real estate problems, with an emphasis on transactions that leverage economic development incentives. His collegiality, experience, and versatility allow him to assist clients in closing thorny transactions and developing valuable relationships with both public and private stakeholders. By developing lasting relationships with clients, Robb is able to deliver specialized value through personalized strategies and candid counsel.
Robb helps developers obtain tax increment financing (TIF) and other forms of public financing, including tax abatement, sales tax exemptions, and the creation of community improvement districts and transportation development districts.
In addition, Robb regularly negotiates and drafts complex legal documents, such as purchase and sale agreements, development agreements, leases, easements, restrictive covenants, and condominium declarations.
- Washington University School of Law, 2006
- Northwestern University (B.S.), cum laude
- Missouri, 2006
- Represented the developer of a 250-acre mixed-use development financed (in part) with industrial revenue bonds in connection with the sale, leasing, and financing of platted lots.
- Assisted the developer or a multi-modal industrial park obtain tax increment financing and sales tax exemptions on construction materials.
- Assisted dozens of commercial projects obtain real property tax abatement and/or sales tax exemptions on construction materials.
- Represented the developer of a large-scale commercial shopping center in connection with the negotiation of a maintenance and reciprocal easement agreement, forming a community improvement district, leasing retail space, and the sale of out lots to national credit tenants.
- Assisted a dynamic real estate developer obtain, amend and activate numerous redevelopment projects under a tax increment financing plan concerning a multi-phase project, including the adaptive re-use of a steel foundry.
- Assisted a national real estate investment company in acquiring a portfolio of hotel properties in multiple states, including negotiation and documentation of purchase and sale agreements and due diligence
- Represented a hotel developer in connection with the negotiation of a redevelopment agreement with a municipal government that provided for, among other things, (i) the establishment of a community improvement districts and a transportation development district in order to offset infrastructure costs, (ii) sales tax rebates, and (ii) real property tax abatement.
- Assisted numerous developers obtain, collateralize, and sell tax increment financing notes.
- Represented national retailer in connection with leases in dozens of enclosed shopping malls in multiple states.
- Represented a real estate developer in connection with the sale of a $30 million hotel and conference center involving new market and historic rehabilitation tax credits.
- Assisted numerous developers with the land assemblage, entitlements and development of multifamily and mixed-use developments.
- Represented a publicly traded solid waste company in connection with the acquisition, licensing and expansion of solid waste landfills and transfer stations in various states, including Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Kansas and New York.
- Best Lawyers in America, 2022-2024
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2014-2019
- Missouri Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Hawthorn Foundation
- Missouri Economic Development Finance Association
- Carlyle Sailing Association, Past-Commodore
- MICDS Alumni Association, Class Agent, Class of 1999