Dick Hertel’s helps clients identify and manage the risks and opportunities presented in their real estate transactions. He focuses on commercial real estate transactions and development incentives on behalf of sellers, buyers, landlords, tenants, borrowers, lenders, developers, and governmental bodies.
Dick also supports clients with real estate issues in connection with merger and acquisition transactions, environmental matters, real estate transactions in bankruptcy, foreclosures, and workout arrangements. He is also experienced in structuring and forming corporations, general partnerships, limited partnerships, limited liability companies, representing buyers and sellers in the acquisition and sale of a variety of small- to medium-sized businesses through asset and stock transactions and representing lenders and borrowers in a wide variety of financing transactions.
Dick is the co-author of the “Forms of Real Estate Ownership in Kansas” chapter in the Kansas Real Estate Practice and Procedure Handbook. He also is a frequent lecturer on various real estate topics for the Kansas Bar Association. In addition, he is a member of the Spencer Fane Opinion Committee and frequently prepares and provides guidance on third-party legal opinions.
- University of Kansas School of Law, 1979 (J.D.)
- The University of Texas at Austin, 1974 (M.B.A.)
- University of Kansas, 1972 (B.A.)
- Kansas, 1979
- Missouri, 1992
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- Represented a major manufacturer in the acquisition of a portion of a large manufacturing plant from a Fortune 500 company, including drafting documents to allow and phase out the shared use of means of access, utilities and other facilities.
- Represented the owner of a subterranean warehouse facility and prepared and negotiated leases of space in the facility to major tenants, including federal agencies.
- Represented a radio broadcaster in connection with the acquisition and leasing of broadcast towers and a media company in connection with its acquisition of new media locations.
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2005-2010, 2013
- Best Lawyers in America, 2005-2021
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, Subcommittee on Opinion Letters in Real Estate Transactions
- Kansas Bar Association, Real Estate Probate & Trust Section Executive Committee
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Johnson County Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association