Rick Lageson has wide-ranging experience as inside and outside counsel to business entities involved in manufacturing, wholesale distribution, health care, financial services, internet services, mining, and the trading and transportation of oil and other commodities.
He has lead trial and lead appellate attorney experience in cases involving antitrust, banking, corporate governance, trade secret, oil and commodities trading, federal income tax, premises liability, professional negligence, and wrongful death proceedings. His experience as corporate counsel is of particular benefit to clients involved in disputes arising out of merger and acquisition transactions or corporate governance issues.
- Washington University School of Law, 1975 (J.D.)
- St. Olaf College, 1972 (B.A.)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Successful defense of premises liability claims.
- Successful defense of Sherman Act conspiracy claims against trade association and others
- Successful prosecution of claim for return of estate taxes paid under protest.
- Represented Fortune 100 companies, privately held businesses, trade associations, and not-for-profit entities in their litigation and business affairs, and in many instances has enjoyed acting as outside general counsel to these clients over the course of 20 or more years.
- In addition to his law firm experience, he served for a time as inside legal counsel to a large privately held oil trading, refining, and distribution enterprise.
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rated
- American Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar
- Great Rivers Environmental Law Center, Board of Directors, Chairman
- Bridges Foundation, Inc., Director
- “Understanding the Benefits and Risks Arising Out of IP Disputes and Planning for ADR to Resolve Those Disputes,” Aspatore Books, July 2008