Patrick McAndrews helps small and medium size businesses resolve complex legal disputes quickly and efficiently so that the client can get back to focusing on running a successful business. Whether it’s a contractual dispute with vendor, an issue with a competitor, or a statutory compliance concern, Patrick uses his experience to negotiate advantageous settlements for his clients. In the event the dispute becomes a lawsuit, Patrick helps his clients navigate the complex world of litigation. His legal counsel is regularly sought by Kansas City-based companies seeking advice on contract, employment issues, risk management, litigation, and dispute resolution.
He has honed his negotiation and litigation skills over the years by preparing numerous cases for mediation, arbitration and trial. Those cases principally involved claims asserted by financial and lending institutions, retailers, distributors, and professional service firms. Patrick’s success in those cases is aided by his innate ability to synthesize complicated facts, legal theories and damage calculations into digestible form that makes a compelling case to judges and juries.
Patrick also serves as outside general counsel for several tech startups. He helps founders by clearly interpreting the legal landscape on issues impacting the startup’s business. He steers startups away from costly mistakes so the founders can be sure that they are building a company on sound legal foundation. His experience as a seasoned trial attorney makes him well-suited to handle the ever changing business world startups face.
Highlights of Patrick McAndrews’ trial experience include:
- Prosecuted contractual claims on behalf of real-estate investment trust against the entity managing trust assets, resulting in a million dollar recovery for the client in less than 10-months from filing the lawsuit.
- Defended medical auditing company in a contractual dispute with a vendor at a jury trial in San Francisco, California, and successfully reduced the financial exposure to the client.
- Successfully prosecuted a breach of a non-competition agreement on behalf of a technology firm at a bench trial in the U.S. District Court of Kansas.
- Obtained favorable summary judgment ruling on behalf of a lender against a default borrower, and within weeks executed on the judgment recovering the full amount due on the loan.
- Defended a venture capitalist and his company in a lease dispute at a bench trial in Jackson County, Missouri and successfully presented evidence establishing the existence of affirmative defenses.
- Negotiated a six-figure buyout for a minority shareholder of a Kansas corporation.
- Prosecuted blue sky law violations on behalf of several banking institutions and successfully negotiated a lucrative out-of-court settlement.
Highlights of Patrick McAndrews’ outside general counsel experience include:
- Saved an A-series funding deal for a startup in the smart home/ AI space, by negotiating a favorable settlement with a disgruntled minority investor who was attempting to disrupt closing.
- Settled a lawsuit by an aggressive vendor, for nuisance value, five days after the lawsuit was filed against a home-rental startup.
- Assisted and negotiated complex Business Associate Agreement for a startup in the healthcare analytics space.
- Negotiated out-of-court settlement for a Kansas City startup accused of trademark infringement by large Silicon Valley company, where in the end the Silicon Valley Company actually paid the startup for the common law trademark rights.
- Represented California vineyard in terminating a franchise agreement with Kansas distributor.
Publications and Presentations
- Presented at “Law & Technology CLE,” hosted by KC Legal Hackers, KC Digital Drive and the UMKC School of Law (July 13, 2021).
- Quoted, “Taking the mystery out of legal services,” Startup Missouri (July 2020).
- “Everything You Need to Know About Working for a Startup,” Prime Academy (April 22, 2020).
- “Venture Legal Workshop – Startup Financing,” KC Collective (April 11, 2020).
- Quoted, “Spencer Fane accepts first company to its startup lab,” Kansas City Business Journal (October 9, 2019).
- Quoted, “Why Spencer Fane is launching a startup lab,” Kansas City Business Journal (September 6, 2019).
- “Blockchain, Cryptocurrency & Discovery,” LDR Practice Group Meeting Presentation (June 28, 2018).
- Keeping Score: How Universities Can Comply with Title IX Without Eliminating Men’s Collegiate Athletic Programs, B.Y.U Educ. & L.J. 111 (2012).
- “Setting the Stage for the Next Generation of Attorneys,” KC Counselor Magazine 21, no. 7 (August 2012).
- “iPad’s for the Modern Day iJudge,” KC Counselor Magazine 20, no. 8 (September 2011).
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Mentor Program, Vice Chair, 2012-2013
- KC Civic Council, Kansas City Tomorrow Program, Class of 2019
- Nelson-Atkins Museum, Young Friends of the Arts, Ambassador
- Michigan State University College of Law Alumni Association
- Kansas State University Alumni Association
- Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, 2023
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly, Top Legal Innovation Award for Emerging Practice Area, 2020
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly, Up & Coming Attorney Award, 2020
- Ingram’s Magazine, 40 Under Forty, 2020
- Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2014-2020, 2022
- 2012 Graduate of the Bar Leadership Academy
- President, Sigma Chi Fraternity
Contact Patrick McAndrews at 816.292.8376 or firstname.lastname@example.org.