Misty Segura assists clients in a variety of industries with all aspects of bankruptcy matters and enforcement of creditors’ rights. Her work in Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 cases has involved representing secured creditors (including lenders as well as mechanic and materialmen lienholders), trustees, landlords, and general unsecured creditors.
Misty has also defended clients against bankruptcy preference and fraudulent transfer claims. Her background in commercial and bankruptcy litigation enables her to protect her clients’ interests when a consensual resolution to a dispute is not possible.
- South Texas College of Law, 2001 (J.D.)
- Lamar University, 1998 (B.B.A.)
- Texas, 2001
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Represented a liquidating trustee in 65+ bankruptcy adversary proceedings, including preference actions, collection of debtors’ accounts receivable, and administration of proofs of claim.
- Represented a commercial lender with secured claim exceeding $28 million in Chapter 11 bankruptcy case. Involved in the liquidation of heavy construction equipment and recovery of other collateral.
- Represented secured creditors in a hotly contested bankruptcy case, including assistance with establishing the sales process and parameters, as well as obtaining bankruptcy court approval of the sales and the plan of reorganization.
- Represents creditors in connection with collection cases and bankruptcy matters, including but not limited to foreclosures, meetings of creditors, Rule 2004 examinations, motions for relief from the automatic stay, motions for adequate protection, cash collateral hearings, section 363 sale motions, plan confirmation hearings, motions to assume or reject executory contracts, fraudulent transfer, preference, and nondischargeability adversary proceedings, filing proofs of claim, defense of claim objections, appeals to the U.S. District Court and Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and other proceedings.
- Best Lawyers in America, 2024
- Texas Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Bankruptcy Law, 2015-2016
- H Texas Magazine, Top Lawyers, Bankruptcy, 2014, 2015
- Houston Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas, Bankruptcy Law Section
- Federal Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Moller-Foltz American Inn of Court, Executive Committee Member