Michael J. Belo helps employers navigate the complexities of labor and employment law through thoughtful legal guidance, development, and refinement of employee handbooks and policies, and skilled representation in litigation when it becomes necessary.
He applies this acumen to serve employers in a broad range of employment matters, including the Fair Labor Standards Act (minimum wage and overtime laws), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act, Colorado Wage Claim Act, wrongful discharge issues, and the whole spectrum of laws governing the employment relationship.
He also represents the firm’s employee benefit fund clients in litigation and arbitration under ERISA. In addition, he offers experienced general litigation representation in a broad range of matters, including mechanic’s liens, property questions, constitutional law questions, arbitration of commercial disputes, and other issues serving the diverse needs of the firm’s clients.
- University of Colorado Law School, 1977 (J.D.)
- University of California, 1974 (B.A.)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- In a case with the U.S. Department of Labor under the Fair Labor Standards Act about the client’s failure to pay employees properly for overtime, he negotiated a substantial reduction in back pay of more than $100,000 and avoided any penalties.
- In numerous cases when employees have filed charges with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or state agency claiming discrimination because of race, national origin, age, disability, sex, or sexual orientation, he has successfully defended employers and persuaded the agency to dismiss the charges, with no lawsuit being filed by the employee.
- Best Lawyers in America, 2022-2024
- Colorado Hispanic Bar Association, Board of Directors
- Labor and Employment Relations Association, Board Member; Former Chairman