Matthew Wine is an Of Counsel in the firm’s Real Estate group. Matthew focuses his practice on commercial and residential real estate development as well as tax credit incentive financing related to commercial and affordable housing developments, state and federal regulatory counseling, financial services, and general construction and development matters.
Matthew graduated cum laude from the University of Notre Dame Law School where he earned multiple academic Dean’s Awards and was also the recipient of the John E. Krupnick Award for excellence in trial advocacy and the H. King Williams Memorial Award for contribution to building community within the law school. He received his bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from Truman State University and his Masters of Business Administration from William Woods University. Matthew also completed the Graduate School of Banking program at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Matthew began his legal career as an associate in Kansas City with an international law firm where he was a member of the construction and energy litigation practice and was involved in general real estate, construction, and insurance litigation matters. Immediately prior to joining Spencer Fane, Matthew served as an attorney with the Missouri Housing Development Commission where he facilitated tax credit incentive financed affordable housing developments in addition to handling state and federal regulatory matters.
- University of Notre Dame Law School, 2015 (J.D.), cum laude
- William Woods University, 2006 (M.B.A.)
- Truman State University, 2002 (B.S.B.A.)
- Kansas, 2016
- Missouri, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- Facilitated the administration of state and federal tax credits related to multiple 4 percent and 9 percent LIHTC developments.
- Represented a state housing agency in state and federal regulatory compliance matters.
- Represented a state housing agency in Fair Housing law.
- Matthew also has previous experience in the banking industry where he spent nearly a decade employed in various management and executive positions at both community, regional, and national financial institutions, prior to beginning his legal career.
- Mayor’s Economic Advisory Council, Columbia, Missouri, Chair, 2005-2006
- Notre Dame Club of Kansas City
- John E. Krupnick Award
- King Williams Memorial Award
- Dean’s Award, Highest Grad, Intensive Trial Advocacy
- Dean’s Award, Highest Grade, Deposition Skills
- Witkin Award, Highest Grade, Legal Writing & Research
- Missouri Bar Association
- Kansas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- “Chapter 3 – Forms of Real Estate Ownership in Kansas,” Kansas Real Estate Practice and Procedure (KBA, 6th ed.), 2021
- “CDO Alumni in Business Law Panel,” University of Notre Dame Law School Business Law Forum, 2018
- “Frauds in Real Estate Transactions,” Missouri Independent Bankers Association Security Conference, 2018