Marshall T. “Marty” Cook handles a wide range of commercial and civil litigation, arbitration, and mediation, identifying options and seeking out successful resolutions to his clients’ most important legal matters that present financial and reputational threats. He concentrates his practice in the area of business law, commercial litigation, real estate law, real estate development, employment litigation, and premises liability litigation. He represents clients in all aspects of litigation, arbitration, and mediation.
Marty’s commercial litigation practice ranges from representation of companies and individuals in contract and business disputes to defense of product manufacturers in product liability litigation. In the employment law context, Marty has experience enforcing noncompete contracts for employers and defending employers against claims of discrimination.
Marty is a member of Sumner Bank & Trust’s Board of Directors and Hendersonville Medical Center’s Board of Directors.
- Samford University, Cumberland School of Law, 1999 (J.D.), Highest Honors for Work in Professional Responsibility
- Carson-Newman College, 1996 (B.A.)
- Tennessee, 1999
- Represented a seller in $37 million sale of international company.
- Represented multiple sellers of privately held companies.
- Represented multiple purchasers of privately held companies.
- Assisted in the formation of numerous corporations, LLCs, and other entities.
- Represented multiple residential and commercial real estate projects with regard to the zoning process in Hendersonville and Gallatin, Tennessee.
- Represented a developer of large mixed-use project in Gallatin, Tennessee.
- Represented a developer of large assisted living facility in Hendersonville, Tennessee.
- Represented multiple commercial and residential contractors in Sumner County, Tennessee.
- Areas include: contract drafting, liens, and payment disputes.
- Multiple defense verdicts in state court employment cases.
- Obtained favorable federal court case outcome for employer in class action wage case.
- Successful enforcement of noncompete agreements.
- Negotiated multiple favorable settlements in complex business disputes.
- Hendersonville Medical Center, Board of Directors
- Sumner Bank & Trust, Board of Directors
- Hendersonville Rotary Foundation, Former Board Member
- United Way of Sumner County, Former Board Member
- COMPASS, Founding Board Member
- Leadership Middle Tennessee, Graduate and Former Board Member
- Leadership Sumner, Graduate
- Sumner Teen Center, Former Board Member
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent Rating
- Best Lawyers in America, Litigation – Construction; Litigation – Labor and Employment, 2020-2024
- The American Lawyer and Corporate Counsel, Top Rated Lawyer in Labor and Employment, 2013
- Nashville Bar Association
- Sumner County Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association, Leadership Law (TBALL) Class Member
- Hendersonville Chamber of Commerce, Former Legal Counsel, Board Chair
- “Avoiding Legal Hazards in the Construction Industry,” AMC Safety Consultants, March 2018