Jason Kathman represents clients in bankruptcy proceedings and litigation, helping them win favorable outcomes so they can concentrate on running their businesses. He works with clients in a wide variety of industries, with a focus in hospitality, manufacturing, restaurant, and oil and gas industries.
Jason’s practice centers primarily on business bankruptcies, reorganizations, and restructurings. He handles the full spectrum of bankruptcy litigation matters, including preference, fraudulent transfer, discharge, dischargeability, and other state law-based actions.
With a deep understanding of the issues, best practices, and concerns on both sides of bankruptcy, Jason represents not only financially distressed companies but also creditors and lenders.
Prior to entering private practice, Jason externed for the Hon. Harlin D. Hale, Chief United States Bankruptcy Judge, and the Hon. Jerry S. Buchmeyer, a Senior United States District Judge. He is a former Chair of the Bankruptcy Section for the Dallas Bar Association, and a Master in the John C. Ford American Inn of Court.
Presentations and Publications
- “Chapter 11 Feasibility and Related Confirmation Topics,” 2021 ABI Midwestern Virtual Bankruptcy Institute, October 2021
- “How Bankruptcy Can Help or Hurt Your Litigation,” Dallas Bar Association, October 2021
- “Energy Bankruptcies: New Round of Same Round?” Bankruptcy Section of Dallas Bar Association, April 2019
- “Legal Maneuvers & Value Drivers: Memorial Production Partners Bankruptcy Proceeding,” Energy Section of Tarrant County Bar Association, June 2018
- “Recharacterization: When is Debt Really Equity?” Texas Association of Certified Public Accountants, Fall 2017
- “Constructive Strict-Approach to Attorney Client Privilege in Bankruptcy: Lack of Clarity in Rule 502 Makes its Application to Bankruptcy Unclear,” 15 TEX. WESLEYAN L. REV. 401, Fall 2008
- “Failure to Follow Rule 3001 May Result in Disallowance of Claim,” State Bar of Texas Bankruptcy Section Newsletter, May 2008
- “No Hiding Behind Disclosed Information: Why Attorney-Client Privilege Does Not Apply to Information Disclosed in Bankruptcy Documents,” State Bar of Texas Bankruptcy Section Newsletter, May 2008
- “Life in the Fifth Circuit Since Marrama,” State Bar of Texas Bankruptcy Section Newsletter, February 2008
- American Bankruptcy Institute, 40 Under 40 Honoree, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America, 2021-2023
- Texas Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2017-2022
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, 2019, 2021
Contact Jason Kathman at 972.324.0370 or email@example.com.