Hillary Martel is a member of the Spencer Fane Health Care group. Her combination of medical and legal knowledge gives her an in-depth understanding of the needs of the firm’s health care clients. The former practicing nurse graduated from the University of Missouri — Kansas City School of Law cum laude. While in law school, Hillary served as the Managing Editor of the UMKC Law Review and also as a Legal Writing Teaching Assistant. She received the CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Legal Writing and Consumer Protection.
Based in the firm’s Overland Park, Kansas office, Hillary leverages her unique perspective and variety of skills to assist clients with health care-related legal issues.
Before law school, Hillary worked as a nurse in an intensive care unit at a large academic medical center. Hillary received her B.S. in Nursing from the University of Kansas.
- University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Law, 2017 (J.D.), cum laude
- University of Kansas, 2012 (B.S.N.)
- Kansas, 2018
- Missouri, 2017
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2023
- “Legal Aspects of Medical Record Documentation,” February 2019
- “HIPAA for Clinicians,” November 2018
- “Substance Abuse and Mental Health Privacy Laws,” April 2018