Eric Gere provides thoughtful and aggressive advocacy for his clients’ most complex and critical litigation matters, working to reach efficient and beneficial legal outcomes utilizing the full range of dispute resolution methods regardless of venue.
While not exclusively, Eric’s private practice focuses on general, commercial, tax, and real estate litigation, and he has significant experience in successfully representing a variety of individuals and businesses in complex real estate transactions, landlord/tenant disputes, breach of contract lawsuits, construction law, and tort litigation. He maintains an extremely diverse client base and executes on collaborative strategies necessary to deliver comprehensive legal service.
In addition to general litigation, Eric represents utilities, energy companies, developers, general contractors, subcontractors, and material suppliers in pending matters in state and federal courts and in administrative proceedings. He regularly assists banks, developers, and homeowners in matters related to real property and disputes arising out of codes, covenants, and restrictions. He also represents hotel owners and other companies in the hospitality industry.
Eric always prioritizes the business needs and specific objectives of clients in both looking to prevent and resolving litigation with agile and cost-effective representation. He understands not all litigation victories come in a courtroom and focuses on winning or favorably concluding disputes as early as possible.
- University of Washington School of Law, 2004 (J.D.)
- University of Washington, 2000 (B.S.), cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- U.S. District for the Eastern District of Arkansas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Obtained $70 million judgment on behalf of community bank in fraud case against mortgage broker/title company.
- Obtained defense verdict in breach of contract/trademark infringement case involving claim for $1 million-plus brought against family-owned skydiving business.
- Earned jury verdict for $1.1 million in Arkansas Federal District Court in favor of Mexican shrimp farmer.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of Arizona public utility that was upheld by Arizona Court of Appeals in case involving locomotive accident.
- Achieved favorable settlements/summary judgment rulings in favor of public utility in multiple personal injury cases, including cases involving tens-of-millions in damages.
- Obtained $2 million-plus arbitration award in favor of developer of an apartment complex in Arizona.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement for a subcontractor in mechanic’s lien foreclosure action involving liens valued at about $1 million.
- Successfully represented multiple homeowners in lien foreclosure actions filed by general contractors.
- Represented a regional bank in real property tax appeal, resulting in trial victory and refund of nearly $500,000.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of nursing home against municipality in sales tax dispute where city attempted to assess tax of nearly $300,000 based on erroneous interpretation of city’s tax code.
- Successfully represented multiple farmers in appeals challenging municipal assessor’s classification of agricultural property and obtained refunds/reductions in tax assessment between $100,000 and $500,000.
- Obtained summary judgment in a matter involving a claim for specific performance in connection with the purchase of office building worth more than $2 million.
- Drafted, reviewed, and revised terms of a complex purchase contract for sell/purchase of vacant land.
- Phoenix Suns Charities 88, 2013-2020
- Valley Leadership, Class 37
- Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center – Volunteer, 2012-2016
- Phoenix Magazine, Top Lawyers, Commercial Litigation, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2021-2023
- Southwest Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2017, 2019
- Southwest Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, Business Litigation, 2012-2016
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association – Phoenix Chapter, Board Member