Donald G. Heeman represents clients in business litigation and professional licensing matters, obtaining verdicts and judgments through both trial and motion practice in state, federal, and appellate courts. Don routinely represents defendants in nationwide class actions involving various state and federal claims, including antitrust claims and claims brought under ERISA.
Don also represents primary and secondary mortgage lenders in repurchase, breach of contract, and RMBS litigation, serving as counsel for a prominent liquidating trust on cases involving national repurchase and indemnification matters. He has extensive experience representing parties in trust instruction proceedings (TIP actions) involving the approval and distribution of RMBS settlements and on other structured finance issues. He represents mortgage servicers in defending regulatory claims, including allegations involving claims under Dodd-Frank.
As a former State of Minnesota Assistant Attorney General in the Consumer Protection Division enforcing the State of Minnesota’s fraud and unfair trade practices statutes, he brings unique perspective to his representation of clients in investigations and lawsuits brought by state and federal regulators.
Beyond his work in these areas, he also frequently represents physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and security officers in professional licensing investigations and other inquiries, including matters before the Minnesota Office of Administrative Hearings.
- William Mitchell College of Law, 1998 (J.D.)
- Arizona State University, 1994 (B.S.)
- Minnesota, 1998
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- RMBS Litigation: In re RFC & ResCap Liquidating Trust, Case No. 13-CV-3451, SRN / HB.
- Business Litigation / Breach of Contract: BVS, Inc. v. CDW Direct, LLC, 88 F. Supp. 3d 948, N.D. Iowa 2015.
- Mortgage Repurchase Litigation: GMAC Mortgage, LLC v. Southport Bank, 2015 WL 1573387, E.D. Pa. April 9, 2015.
- Business Litigation / Breach of Contract: TCF v. Market Intelligence, Inc., 2014 U.S. Dist. Lexis 146056, D. Minn. Oct. 14, 2014, aff’d, 812 F. 3d 701, 8th Cir. 2016.
- Mortgage Repurchase Litigation: Residential Funding Co. v. Terrace Mortgage Co., 850 F. Supp. 2d 961, D. Minn. 2012, aff’d, 725 F.3d 910, 8th Cir. 2013.
- Mortgage Regulatory Litigation: Kohout v. Homecomings Financial, LLC, 2012 WL 2685076, Minn. Ct. App. 2012.
- Mortgage Regulatory Litigation: Beukes v. GMAC Mortgage, LLC, 786 F. 3d 649, 8th Cir. 2015.
- Mortgage Regulatory Litigation: Swanson v. GMAC Mortgage, LLC, 2012 WL 1110549, D. Minn. 2012.
- Business / Commercial Litigation: Tapemark Co. v. E-Z Cleaners, LLC, 2012 WL 246053, D. Minn. 2012.
- Mortgage Regulatory Litigation: Koenen v. Homecomings Financial, LLC, 2011 WL 3901874, D. Minn. 2011.
- Mortgage Regulatory Litigation: Hilburn v. Homecomings Financial, LLC, 2011 WL 3348070 (D. Minn. 2011.
- Mortgage Repurchase Litigation: Residential Funding Co., LLC v. Prysma Lending Group, LLC, 2011 WL 3020149, D. Minn. 2011.
- Mortgage Regulatory Litigation: Schemionek v. Deutsche Bank Trust Co., 2011 WL 692933, D. Minn. 2011.
- Mortgage Repurchase Litigation: Residential Funding Company, LLC v. HTFC Corp., No. 06-CV-03973, D. Minn. 2008.
- Professional Licensing / Real Estate: In re License of Maneval, OAH No. 58-1005-17340-2, 2008.
- Business Litigation / Mortgage and FDCPA: Labore v. J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, 2007 WL 3072065, Minn. Ct. App. 2007.
- Employment Litigation: El Sherif v. Allina Hospitals & Clinics, 2006 WL 2474065, Minn. Ct. App. 2006.
- Business Litigation / Property Dispute: Ingersoll v. Rolf, 2005 WL 625096, Minn. Ct. App. 2005.
- Employment Litigation: Privette v. SPX Corp., 2004 WL 2066834, D. Minn. 2004.
- Professional Licensing / Chiropractor: In re License of Judy C. Thompson, C., OAH No. 4-0901-14920-2, 2003.
- Criminal Appeal: State v. Selix, 2002 WL 31891175, Minn. Ct. App. 2002.
- Criminal Appeal: State v. Hansen, 2002 WL 31500697, Minn. Ct. App. 2002.
- Employment Litigation / Age Discrimination: Farris v. Exotic Rubber & Plastics of Minnesota, Inc., 165 F. Supp. 2d 916, D. Minn. 2001.
- Best Lawyers in America, 2022-2024
- Minnesota Lawyer, Attorney of the Year Honoree, 2021
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Law & Politics, 2018-2019
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2004 and 2009
- “9 Strategies for Succeeding in Your Next Deposition,” MCLE, 2014
- “Complying with Federal Mortgage Lending Laws: Mortgage Repurchase Litigation,” MCLE, 2011
- “Facing an Allegation – What to do if the Board of Medical Practice Calls,” Minnesota Physician, 2008
- “Corporation Liability Under the Theories of Piercing the Corporate Veil and Alter Ego,” MCLE, 2006
- “Health Care Coverage for Older Adults: Prescription Drugs and Other Issues,” MCLE, 2003