Blake is a trial lawyer who helps clients through what is often the worst times of their lives: a lawsuit that might result in bankruptcy if the client loses. As an attorney experienced in bet-the-company litigation, Blake approaches these difficult situations with a fierce resolve to win for his clients. He recognizes the high-stress nature of these matters and partners closely with each client to help them avoid civil damages so they can stay in operation.
The conduct in these high-stakes disputes can result in parallel state or federal investigations. Blake works to prevent charges from ever being brought forward, or when charges are inevitable, he focuses on negotiating a resolution with the smallest penalty possible.
A large portion of Blake’s practice focuses on non-competes, trade secrets, and securities fraud. Blake also serves as a volunteer attorney through the firm’s partnership with the Missouri Coalition for the Right to Counsel and works on complicated legal issues that arise in family court matters.
- University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Law (J.D.), magna cum laude
- University of Missouri – Columbia (B.S.B.A.)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- Retained 20 days before trial, Blake defended his clients against claims of fraud and violations of the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act. The plaintiff sought over $2,000,000 in damages. The jury returned a full verdict for the defense.
- Successfully defended clients against claims of non-compete violations, unfair competition, computer tampering, trade secret violations, conspiracy, and others. The plaintiff sought nearly $20,000,000 in damages. The jury returned a verdict for the defense on every major claim, awarding the plaintiff only a nominal amount on an ancillary claim for $11,000. The Missouri Court of Appeals affirmed this judgment in Shuttlewagon, Inc. v. Higgins, 628 S.W.3d 185, Mo. Ct. App. 2021.
- Successfully opposed a preliminary injunction that sought to restrain the administration of a multi-million dollar trust.
- Obtained a nearly million-dollar default judgment in the Southern District of New York after defendants’ repeated discovery violations.
- Briefed and argued summary judgment in federal court, obtaining a complete judgment for the defense before trial.
- Negotiated a confidential pre-suit settlement on behalf of a former professional athlete whose money had been stolen in a fraudulent investment scheme. The perpetrator was eventually sentenced to over 16 years in prison for wire fraud.
- Secured millions on behalf of class members who alleged defendants improperly withheld security deposit funds.
- Helped resolve claims related to a mass casualty event involving a tourism boat.
- Judge Gary Witt of the Missouri Court of Appeals
- Judge Roseann Ketchmark of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, 2024
- Order of the Barristers
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Medal for Excellence in Advocacy
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association