Ben Shantz is a trial attorney and counselor who helps his clients by fighting for their interests both in and out of court so they can focus on growing their businesses. Ben has a reputation for providing practical legal advice that enables clients to make real-time, critical business decisions. He uses his experience in the courtroom to help clients prevent litigation in the first place and best position them when disputes do arise by drafting a wide range of contracts to better protect their interests on the front-end.
Ben also advises businesses on information privacy and data security best practices vital to protecting their information and customers. He works with clients to ensure their compliance with state, federal, and international privacy laws and regulations including: Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), Europe’s General Data Privacy Regulation (GDPR), California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), among others.
Ben graduated from Washington University School of Law in St. Louis. During law school, Ben served as Associate Managing Editor of the Washington University Law Review. Ben was also appointed by the Governor to serve as a public member on the Missouri Boards and Commissions Task Force which sought to reduce government waste and boost efficiency.
- Serves as outside counsel to a content creator with over five million subscribers and over seven hundred million views, advising on matters ranging from merchandising deals to agency contracts.
- Negotiated and drafted general contractor and subcontractor agreements for developers and contractors.
- Successfully defended owners and general contractors in connection with mechanic’s lien enforcement and contract actions.
- Successfully prosecuted and defended lawsuits arising out of residential and commercial lease agreements on behalf of both tenants and landlords.
- Advised clients in threatened or pending litigation on a wide variety of complex civil litigation matters.
- Successfully defended businesses against consumer fraud claims brought under the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act.
Presentations and Publications
- “Determining Ownership and Control of IPv4 Addresses,” 94 Wash. U. L. Rev. 739 (2017)
- Member, State Bar of Missouri
- Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, 2022-2023
- Springfield Business Journal, 40 Under 40, 2022
Contact Ben Shantz at 417.888.1022 or email@example.com.