Barry Pickens is a civil litigator with a focus on appellate litigation, insurance coverage, and other commercial litigation matters. In his appellate work, Barry helps defend results obtained at the trial court level that were favorable for his clients on appeal. Where clients received unfavorable results at the trial level, he helps them develop strategies to obtain appellate relief from those results.
In his insurance coverage work, Barry represents both policyholders and insurers. On matters involving liability coverage, he has represented numerous policyholders who sought to enforce their insurers’ obligation to provide indemnity protection or a defense against lawsuits so that clients can receive the coverage for which they bargained.
In his other commercial litigation work, Barry often represents clients in complex, multi-party litigation. Those matters have included class actions, collective actions, and other mass actions. He has experience working on both the plaintiff and the defense side in these types of complex civil litigation matters.
- The University of Texas School of Law (J.D.)
- Kansas, 1993
- Missouri, 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Successfully defended client in “bet the company” securities litigation challenging the model the client used to finance its cooperative business by obtaining summary judgments that resulted in dismissal of all claims and successfully defended those judgments in multiple federal appeals. Great Rivers Coop v. Farmland Industries.
- Obtained summary judgment for client who was alleged to have breached an agreement to purchase jewelry chain from pre-packaged bankruptcy proceeding and then obtained summary judgment ordering return of seven-figure deposit paid into escrow by client, with interest. In re Krigel Jewelers / ARY Jewelers v. Krigel.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of policyholder for breach of insurance policy and successfully defended judgment in federal appeal. Emergency Medical Servs. v. St. Paul Mercury Ins.
- Best Lawyers in America, 2023-2024
- American Bar Association