Anne Sumpter Arney has more than 30 years of experience working with many health care companies and medical professionals. She advises her health care clients on matters related to business law and transactional issues, as well as assisting them in navigating ever changing health care laws and regulations.
Anne’s experience includes matters related to preparing and filing Certificate of Need (CON) applications, negotiating a variety of health care provider contracts, and assisting clients with matters that arise from the complex health care laws. In addition to her health law practice, Anne advises both health care and non-health care entrepreneurs on how to start, grow, operate, and sell their businesses.
A third-generation lawyer and active community leader, Anne is a frequent guest speaker on health care and corporate law-related topics for industry and professional associations.
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, 1982 (J.D.)
- Vanderbilt University, 1979 (B.A.), cum laude
- Tennessee, 1982
- Analyzed regulatory issues affecting the operation of health care providers and the structuring of health care joint ventures.
- Assisted medical professionals and their practices in forming professional business entities, reviewing and negotiating contracts, and regulatory compliance.
- Represented businesses in sophisticated transactions including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, and equity placements or redemptions.
- Prepared and filed Certificate of Need (CON) applications.
- Negotiated a variety of health care provider contracts.
- Assisted clients in forming or unwinding businesses, practices, and management relationships, as well as resolving a variety of operation issues.
- Tennessee Board of Medical Examiners Committee on Physician Assistants, Past Member
- Green Hills Rotary Club, Past President
- Nashville Bar Association Pro Bono Program, Past Member of the Board of Directors
- Nashville Arts Commission, Past Member of the Grant Committee
- Outlook Nashville, Inc., Past President of the Board of Directors
- Metropolitan Nashville Beer Permit Board, Past Chair
- Best Lawyers in America, 2018-2024
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, 2021-2022
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Preeminent Rating
- Martindale-Hubbell, Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers
- Nashville Business Journal, Health Care Heroes, 2014
- Nashville Medical News, Women to Watch, 2014
- Nashville Medical News, InCharge Health Care List, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Nashville Business Journal, Best of the Bar, 2015, 2016, 2018
- American Bar Association, Section on Health Law
- American Health Lawyers Association, Physician Organization Practice Group
- Lawyers Association for Women, Past President
- Nashville Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2007-2010
- Nashville Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Tennessee Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Tennessee Bar Foundation, Fellow
- IOLTA Grant Committee, Past Member
- “Understanding a Physician’s Responsibility to Comply with the ADA,” Compliance Today
- “Access to Care & Physician Extenders,” Nashville Medical News
- “The High Cost of Failing to Comply with HIPAA,” Nashville Medical News
- “Third Circuit Addresses Hospital Contract with Hospital Based Physicians Group,” Physician Organizations Newsletter of the American Health Lawyers Association
- “HIPAA: What It Stands For and a Little More,” The Nashville Bar Journal
- “Letters of Intent in Buying and Selling a Business,” The Nashville Business Journal
- “Fraud Alert: Hospital Incentives to Physicians,” Nashville Medical News
- “Buying a Medical Practice,” Nashville Medical News