Hon. Alvin Zimmerman is actively involved in family law including trials, custody, and marital agreements. He also serves as a mediator and arbitrator in Harris County, Texas, with extensive alternative dispute resolution (ADR) experience including business, family, health, construction, commercial, tort, employment, intellectual property (patent, trademark, and copyright), personal injury, franchise, probate, and oil and gas cases. He is a credentialed distinguished mediator by the Texas Mediator Credentialing Association, of which there are fewer than 100 in Texas.
Alvin also serves as a special judge for hire, special master, and ad litem as well as conducting investigations for educational institutions. He has participated in over 500 arbitrations and 3,000 mediations in his career.
Alvin’s broad-based legal experience includes presiding as a municipal court judge for the city of Houston, and, as a state district judge of the 269th (civil) and 309th (family) District Courts. He has also served as assistant attorney general for the state of Texas and briefing clerk for the Honorable Judge Ingraham, federal district judge for the Southern District of Texas. He received the Frank G. Evans Award as the outstanding ADR Professional in 2016 for his dedicated service to the profession from the State Bar of Texas’ ADR Section.
In addition to his practice, Alvin has served on the board of directors of a national bank and was counsel to and on the board of directors of a New York Stock Exchange company. He is also active in many charitable organizations. In May 2000, he received the Anti-Defamation League’s Karen H. Susman Jurisprudence Award, which is presented annually to an outstanding member of the legal community who exhibits an exceptional commitment to equality, justice, fairness, and community service.
Alvin received the University of Houston Distinguished Alumni Award in April 2009. This award is given to individuals who have distinguished themselves in their field of endeavor and whose accomplishments have brought credit to the university. Just over 150 alumni have received this honor.
He is a frequent presenter in the fields of ADR and family law for the Houston Bar Association, State Bar of Texas, and Texas Mediator Credentialing Association, totaling over 25 presentations.
- University of Houston Law Center, 1967 (J.D.)
- University of Houston, 1964 (B.S.)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Mediated several high profile cases involving millions of dollars in dispute.
- Arbitrated many complex matters involving millions of dollars including franchise and beverage industry as well as hospital / insurance disputes.
- Overturned a judgment in family law dispute.
- University of Houston Foundation, President
- Board of Directors of the Houston Symphony Orchestra, Former Member
- University of Houston Law Review Foundation, Director
- University of Houston Law Alumni Association, Emeritus Director
- University of Houston Board of Visitors, Member
- Chambers USA, Nationwide, Litigation: Mediators, 2022
- Martindale Hubbell, AV Preeminent Top Rated Lawyer, Family Law, 2005-2022
- Best Lawyers in America, 2005-2024
- Texas Super Lawyers, 2003-2022
- H Magazine, Best Lawyers in Houston, 2005-2019
- Ten Leaders of Greater Houston, Divorce Law
- South Texas College of Law, Outstanding Adjunct Professor Award, Contracts
- AA White ADR Course, Instructor
- American Bar Association Family Law Trials, Faculty
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Board Certified-Family Law
- David Gibson Award for Professionalism and Excellence in Family Law, Gulf Coast
- College of International Arbitrators, Fellow
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow
- International Academy of Mediators, Board of Directors, Former President; Emeritus Member
- Houston Bar Association, Family Law Section, Former Chair
- Houston Bar Association, ADR Section, Former Chair
- Houston Bar Foundation, Former Vice President
- University of Houston Law Foundation, Former President; Emeritus Director
- American Arbitration Association, Complex Litigation Panel
- Texas Mediator Credentialing Association, Former Board Member
- Commercial College of Arbitrators