Mandy Strickland Floyd provides strategic advocacy for her clients in a wide range of civil litigation, dispute resolution, and appellate matters, allowing them to successfully resolve issues while minimizing damage and impact on their business. She concentrates her practice in the areas of labor and employment law, constitutional and civil rights, education law, and general business litigation. In addition to her active litigation work, Mandy advises clients concerning business and employment matters.
Mandy previously served as a staff attorney for the ACLU of Tennessee, where she focused on constitutional and civil rights issues through her federal trial and appellate work. She also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Richard H. Dinkins of the Tennessee Court of Appeals, where she first began to develop her appellate expertise.
Mandy is a certified chocolatier and, prior to her legal career, was the owner of an artisan chocolate shop. Mandy lives in Bellevue with her husband, Marcus Floyd, and has three active children who help keep her cross-examination skills sharp through daily practice.
Highlights of Mandy’s experience include:
- Won judgment and order of sanctions in complex bench trial in United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee against the City of Memphis for violation of consent decree protecting First Amendment rights.
- Won multiple contempt orders and negotiated favorable settlement in commercial dispute involving dissolution of a business partnership.
- Won judgment on behalf of employer in dispute involving termination of executive employee after seven-day arbitration.
- Successfully defended appeal of grant of summary judgment in client’s favor involving liability on promissory notes.
- Represented clients in appeals before the Tennessee Court of Appeals, the Tennessee Supreme Court, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Labor and Employment
- Represents employees and employers in state and federal courts involving employment discrimination, FLSA, noncompetition disputes and alternative dispute resolutions.
- Represents employees and employers in race discrimination, gender and pregnancy discrimination, FMLA violations and retaliatory discharge.
- Representation of boards of education across the state involving employment of licensed and classified employees, employee contracts, employee and student discipline, employee and student rights, special education and disability accommodation, First Amendment issues, sexual harassment and civil rights matters, desegregation, tort liability, school finance and taxation, and school construction.
- Nashville Children’s Theater, Board of Trustees
- Harry Phillips American Inn of Court, 2013-15, 2019-Present
- Nashville Bar Foundation Leadership Forum
- Current Member of Steering Committee
- Member of Class of 2016-17
- Lawyers’ Association for Women
- Current: Programs Committee
- Past: Diversity Committee, Newsletter Editor, Treasurer, Archivist
- Napier-Looby Bar Association
- Past Historian
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Business Journal, 40 under 40
- ATHENA Nashville Young Professional Nominee
- Tennessee Supreme Court Pro Bono Attorney for Justice
- Best Lawyers, Ones to Watch 2021, 2022
Contact Mandy Strickland Floyd at 615.238.6302 or firstname.lastname@example.org.