Jon Cooper manages all legal aspects of real estate transactions for developers, builders, and property owners, allowing clients and essential stakeholders to keep projects of all sizes on schedule and within budget. He concentrates his practice in the areas of real estate, land use and zoning, regulatory compliance and development, public–private partnerships, and government relations.
Jon spent 20 years with the Metropolitan Nashville Government, serving in various legal and administrative capacities. He assisted chairs of the Metro Council Budget and Finance Committee with the preparation of the annual operating budget for the Metro Government, provided an analysis of all debt transactions, and assisted with the redistricting of political boundaries.
His accomplishments as Director of Law include negotiating a long-term lease extension for a professional sports team utilizing a government-owned arena, and the stadium lease and development agreement for a major league team.
Jon resides in Nashville with his wife and children. He is an accomplished violinist, having once been a professional musician. He is also an avid hiker.
Highlights of Jon’s experience include:
- Jon has spent 20 years working in and around virtually all aspects of local government including zoning, land development, contract negotiation, legislation, municipal finance, public-private partnerships, and litigation oversight. Jon has drafted hundreds of pieces of legislation over the years, including many of the Metropolitan Zoning Code provisions. Jon has also assisted with numerous municipal debt issuances, including general obligation bonds, revenue bonds, and commercial paper.
- As the Metro director of law, Jon was instrumental in negotiating and obtaining Metro Sports Authority, Fair Board, and Council approval of the transactions necessary to bring a professional team to Nashville. This included the issuance of general obligation and revenue bonds for the construction of the new stadium, as well as the negotiation and approval of a ground lease, stadium lease, and mixed-use development lease. Jon also helped negotiate and present a new 30-year lease agreement between the city and a professional team for the use of, and improvements to, an arena in downtown Nashville, which was unanimously approved by the Metro Sports Authority.
- Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership Initiative, 2017-2018
- Tennessee County Attorneys Association, Former President and Member of Board of Directors
- Leadership Nashville, 2006-2007
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Best of the Bar, Nashville Business Journal, 2018, 2019
- “In Charge” List, Nashville Post, 2014-2019
Contact Jon Cooper at 615.238.6328 or email@example.com.