I’Ashea L. Myles counsels property owners and contractors on contractual terms and negotiations to lessen the likelihood of disputes and litigation, allowing her clients to pursue and finalize successful real estate projects with minimal interruptions. She focuses her practice on construction law, real estate law, employment law, and commercial business law, with an emphasis on dispute resolution, including mediation, arbitration, and jury and bench trials in both federal and state court. She also represents businesses in liquor licensing in the state of Tennessee. I’Ashea regularly handles matters related to the building and development of both commercial and residential property. I’Ashea counsels her clients on a wide range of matters and disputes, including:
- Claims and disputes arising from contract disputes, defective work, payment disputes, mechanics’ and materialmen’s liens, design defects, and delay claims
- Drafting and negotiation of contracts for owners, prime contractors, and subcontractors
- Business torts and contract claims
- OSHA compliance matters
- Liquor licensing and compliance
I’Ashea’s experience includes representing owners, prime contractors, and subcontractors in federal and state court.
I’Ashea strives to make the community better. She regularly looks for ways to serve the underserved through volunteer legal clinic opportunities and involvement in politics. I’Ashea is committed to building a better future for her community through advocacy and the promotion of equal justice. She spearheaded the first-ever expungement clinic for Rutherford County and is currently planning future clinics with community partners. I’Ashea was recently honored by the Tennessee Supreme Court as an Attorney for Justice for her pro bono service. She currently serves on the board of directors for the Lawyers’ Association for Women.
When she is not practicing law, I’Ashea’s favorite pastimes are spending time with her family, reading a good novel, and trying out new recipes.
Highlights of I’Ashea’s experience include:
- Represented commercial tenant in a dispute regarding negligent construction and renovation of leased space and prevailed on a motion for summary judgment in favor of the commercial tenant.
- Defense of a general contractor in a negligent construction dispute, which required arbitration pursuant the contract documents. After the removal of the case from court, successfully negotiated a settlement and release of all claims against the contractor prior to arbitration.
- Successfully halted the construction of a commercial building structure due to OSHA violations of the general contractor on the site affecting the adjoining property owner.
- Successfully resolved a dispute in favor of the prime contractor in the discovery phase of the litigation, where plaintiff voluntarily dismissed action based upon discovery interrogatories.
- Represented prime contractor in negotiation of $6 million contract for car dealership construction project.
- Represented owner in negotiations of $11 million commercial hotel construction project.
Alcoholic Beverage Law
- Represents a national restaurant chain with all alcoholic beverage and related licensing for locations in Tennessee.
- Represents a new Nashville restaurant through all stages of the building process on matters related to the building and development, including all alcoholic beverage and related licensing.
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- “DBE Access Newsletter,” a publication of Tennessee Department of Transportation, Spring 2019
- “Cost-Plus Contract Agreement and the Disorganized Contractor,” ABA Under Construction publication, Spring 2018
- “The Dispute Resolver,” a publication of the Forum on Construction Law, Division 1, regular contributor
- “Litigation and Best Practices After the Storm,” ABA Annual Meeting: Forum on Construction Law; New Orleans, LA, April 2018
- “The End Game: How to Develop and Implement Your Resolution Strategy” DRI Voice of the Defense Bar Construction Law Bootcamp; Chicago, IL, November 2018
- “Dealing with Natural Disasters – Here Comes the Flood (of Legal Issues)” ABA Annual Meeting: Forum on Construction Law; Session Coordinator; Hollywood, FL, Spring 2019
- American Bar Association
- Construction Law Forum, Diversity Fellow
- Tennessee Association of Construction Counsel (TACC)
- AGC Legal Advisory Committee (AGC)
- National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC)
- Harry Phillips American Inn of Court
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- Napier-Looby Bar Association
- Nashville Business Journal, Women of Influence Trailblazer, 2021
- Murfreesboro Magazine’s Top 20 Under 40, 2018
- Fellow for the American Bar Association (ABA) Forum on Construction Law, 2018-2021
- National Black Lawyers’ Top 40 Under 40, 2018
- Tennessee Supreme Court Attorney for Justice, 2016 and 2017
- United Way Catalyst, 2015
- TBA Diversity Leadership Institute, Class of 2014
- Super Lawyer® Rising Star, Construction, 2019-2021
Contact I’Ashea Myles at 615.238.6340 or email@example.com.