DJ is a member of the firm’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice Group. DJ joined the firm after working in high volume courtroom settings as a public interest attorney and prosecutor. From that experience, DJ is able to help clients navigate the litigation process in and outside the courtroom. He has worked diligently throughout his career to put clients in the best position possible to make the most highly informed decisions.
Prior to practicing law, DJ attended the University of Iowa College of Law, where he was a research assistant for Professor Mark Osiel, researching the role of truth and reconciliation commissions in Brazil and Argentina following their dictatorships.
Highlights of DJ’s experience include:
- Successfully prosecuted for the first time a domestic violence defendant who had escaped convictions in cases involving multiple different victims over the course of several years.
- Oversaw the alternative prosecution of several defendants who had been major problems in the city by directing their cases into a specialty court, where they entered structured mental health services, modifying their criminal behavior in the process without seeking jail time.
- Conducted over sixty different trials over his career, guiding multiple clients and witnesses through the judicial process from the start to finish of a case.
Presentations and Publications
- Nonprofit Leadership, The Next Generation (Support KC 2014 Excellence in Nonprofit Leadership Awards)
- Mayor’s Citizen Task Force on Violence, Member, 2015 – April 2017
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association (KCMBA) Young Lawyers’ Section, Board of Directors, 2016 – Present
- Environmental Management Commission, Commissioner, 2015 – Present
- Newhouse Shelter, Board of Directors, 2015 – Present
- Committee for County Progress, Vice President, Board of Directors, 2014 – Present
- Literacy Kansas City, President, Board of Directors, 2012 – Present
- Reconciliation Services, Board of Directors, 2011 – 2015
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Jackson County Bar Association
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association Bar Leadership Academy, Graduate, May 2012
Contact DJ Pierre at 816.292.2551 or email@example.com.